Upgrading your Box for G Suite Integration

Important   As of January 2019, we have stopped supporting Google Docs v1 of the integration. We strongly recommend upgrading to the new and improved Box for G Suite integration.  If you are implementing the Box for G Suite integration for the first time, please begin with the new and improved Box for G Suite integration

If you have been using an earlier version (Google Docs v1) of the Box for G Suite integration

First, all your content remains where it is; files stored in Google Drive remain in Google Drive, and files stored in Box remain in Box.  For Google documents stored in Box, use the Open With menu or the contextual menu to access them.  

How can I tell if I'm on v1 or v2? 

Google Docs v1

Box for G Suite (v2)

• Create New menu: Google Docs, Google Sheets
  • Box enterprise account connection: Open connection with any G Suite or personal Gmail account
  • G Drive dependency: Creates copy of file in Google Drive 
  • Create New menu: Google Docs, Google Slides, Google Sheets
  • Box enterprise account connection: Secure restricted connection requiring paid G Suite account with matching login alias
  • No G Drive dependency; files are only stored in Box
v1 Create Menu.png

v2 Create Menu.png

Why upgrade?

You are not required to upgrade your Box for G Suite integration.  But there are several significant improvements in the revised integration that make it worthwhile:

1. The earlier Google Docs v1 integration created a copy of your file in Google Drive, which was confusing. Now, Box for G Suite bypasses Google Drive so you can create, edit, and save Google documents all from within Box, without any dependency on or presence in Google Drive.
  2. You can now work with Slides as well as Docs and Sheets.  Slides was unavailable in the earlier integration.
  3. If you use a paid Box account you can connect it only to a paid enterprise Gmail account. If you use a free Box account you can connect it only to a free Gmail account.  This is a significant security enhancement.

Upgrading is a simple and straightforward process.  See the Related Links section below for more information, including how to install the new integration.

Frequently-asked Questions

Do I need to uninstall the previous integration, Google Docs v1?

No, you do not need to uninstall the previous Google Docs v1 integration. When you install and enable the new Box for G Suite integration, it supersedes any installs of the previous integration. 

Must I migrate my Google Docs v1 files to be able to use them with the new Box for G Suite integration?

If your Google docs files are stored in Box, there is no need for any migration.  You can start using the Box for G Suite integration right away -- as soon as it's turned on -- with any existing Google files you have in Box.

What if I am a beta customer? Do I need to do anything differently to transition from beta?

No action is needed.  Your beta functionality automatically carries over into the GA version.  However, you no longer can whitelist specific individuals for the integration.  Enabling the Box for G Suite integration enables the integration for everyone in your enterprise.

How do I move content from G Drive into Box?

As of Fall 2018, the only way to move content from Google Drive into Box is to download your Google Drive content as Microsoft Office file types or .pdfs, and then upload those into Box.  To migrate large quantities of content, we recommend you use one of the Box shuttle partners.  Please visit the Box Shuttle Web site for more information.

Related Links

Version history
Revision #:
14 of 14
Last update:
‎01-23-2019 05:17 PM
Updated by: