Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
The blueprint for the future of work
Register today!
Attend BoxWorks
Desktop, meet cloud.
Box Drive is the easiest and fastest way to connect to the cloud — without changing the way you work.
View resources
Occasional Contributor

Re: sync/unsync

[ Edited ]

Yes, I know this. However the issue is go and install box sync on the Mac.

Now... turn off the 3000 folders syncing. Aside from turning off the sync completely, there's nothing you can do individually on the Mac.

Are you saying that if sync is off on the Mac, all I need to do is go to the web browser and sync the one folder I need? But then how does that happen if Sync is turned off? Turn it back on? Then you're syncing 3000 folders again? How is the one folder I chose online differentiated? 

See... there seems to be a design flaw here.

Respected Contributor

@pstone I think you may need to revisit the box web experience again.  If you log into box using Safari - or whatever browser you use, then click on the icon next to a folder in your folder tree.  Look to the right side of the browser and you'll see "Sharing" and "Details" - these are tabs of info for the folder you've clicked on.  Sharing shows who has access to the folder.  Details will show file owner, file size, etc - but it also has a "Sync to Desktop" toggle.  This is where you should be controlling what is sync'd - versus what isn't.  This is how I go into a directory that is many folders deep and choose a single directory I need - while ignoring everything else.

You should see what I'm talking about unless you have the legacy user interface active.  You can see the new interface by going to:  https://box.com/on/allnewbox

Occasional Contributor

ok- so the issue is that for some reason, everything seems to be defaulted to SYNC on the website instead of not. There doesn't seem to be a clear global UNSYNC everything option nor an easy, intuitive tree view of this like there is on Google Drive. 

I can select all folders but then there's no selective global UNSYNC

I can't go through 3000 folders to unsync them online - that would take hours. However with a tree span view, it would take a minute.

Thanks for all your inputs!

Respected Contributor

@pstone I don't know what your IT department may have done but my folders default to NOT sync to the desktop.  You have to specify what is sync'd.

I don't know what your rights to box are (permissions), but if you're saying everything is sync'ing, then I would go to the root of my folder tree and just turn those sync folders off.  All rights and actions cascade - so if a root folder is instructed to sync to the desktop - then everything below it will too.  If you turn that off - you turn it off for everything below it too.

Occasional Contributor

Sounds good - At least they cascade! 

Thanks for your help!

New Contributor

I thought the original issue was about syning different files on different computer desktops, rather than synching all or nothing an different machines. Just to be clear, this is still not an option, correct?

Occasional Contributor

NOT an acceptable solution. Sorry.

Please implement per device selective sync. NOW.

Occasional Contributor

Yes - I agree... it should be machine dependent. 

Respected Contributor

@wpkurtz My reply was to @pstone, his question was different from the original post.

As for everyone that continues to ask for selective sync'ing of folders using box sync - please visit this thread:

https://community.box.com/t5/Help-Forum/How-do-I-sync-selectively-between-two-computers/m-p/26415#M1...

Do you selectively sync your email?  If you use VDI, do you try to selectively virtualize your desktop experience depending on the computer - rather than the login?  The concept is not valid as a whole.

New Contributor

I must also disagree with your assessment of the validity of the concept, as other uses have disagreed with your opinion. Other cloud systems (like dropbox) allow you to selectively sync different folders to different machines (as explained here: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/175). The users in the thread you link to also provide cogent examples of how other systems make use of this feature.