sync/unsync

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

sync/unsync

I'd like to know if it's possibile to have different files synced on different computers.

i'd like to have some file synced on a computer and some others on a different computer.

is it possible?

thank you

22 REPLIES
Box Employee

Re: sync/unsync

Hi Giuseppe_A,

Unfortunately, this is not yet possible. In the case where you sign into the same Box account on different computers, you cannot selectively differentiate between these two instances. 

However, you CAN mark certain folders/files for sync on one computer--so that not all of your files are synced down. This essentially makes a folder 'partially synced'.

This help article goes over marking folders for sync, and having "partially synced" folders: 

http://community.box.com/t5/Box-Sync/Marking-Folders-for-Sync/ta-p/699

I hope this helps!

Best,

Brendan

Box User Services

Regular Visitor

Why does this say solved when there isnt a solution yet???

I would really like a solution to this as well. I use Box.com for work and for Personal stuff and my work sync file is 39GB and my personal file is only 975MB. My personal computer said yesterday that its storage is full and I couldnt save a file. So I had to grap my USB drive. 

Please find a solution to this issue.

Occasional Visitor

I agree with Erinne42. Stating that Box doesn't have a basic capability is NOT A SOLUTION. 

I'm having the exact same problem between my work computer and my home laptop. If this isn't actually resolved (i.e., a solution that allows us to selectively sync files/folders to different computers) soon I will be switching to Dropbox. Dropbox does have this capability. Box needs to get it together if they expect to be competitive. 

Occasional Visitor

I also agree that the posted solution is an unacceptable one.

Every other cloud client has a selective sync option that doesn't nuke files/folders off of ALL PCs that have the sync client installed.

I'm absolutley baffled that Box Sync is incapable of this. I have a Macbook with a 64GB SSD and i cannot sync the entirety of my 30GB Box drive to it, and since there is no true "selective sync" option, I just cannot install/use the sync client on the Macbook without unsyncing files/folders that would remove themselves from my other PCs.

Please prioritize fixing this and making it work like all the other cloud providers.

Tags (2)
Occasional Visitor

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone here. I have Box installed for several customer, and I'm migrating more and more customers to it, away from Sugarsync (which is having too many syncing issues on a regular basis when large folders are involved). I ABSOLUTELY need the feature to selectively sync folders to different computers using the SAME box user name. It's a tragedy that this doesn't exist unlike all the other major players in this space.

Occasional Visitor

I also agree this is not a helpful response.  Should be a simple fix.  Please recitfy as soon as possible.  Most users will have a office or desktop computer that will have more memory available than their laptop.  PLEASE FIX.

New Contributor

Agreed! This is definitely needed functionality!

Occasional Contributor

Has or will there be a fix for this? It's December 2016 and still no selective sync. 

I installed on my Mac needing to sync only ONE folder out of 30+GBs of work stuff. There is NO selective sync options. It's ALL or NOTHING. And no, you can't log onto a computer and deselect 1000 folders just to get one to sync... 

When you install Box Sync - You should like your competition, allow before syncing the user to CHOOSE WHICH FOLDERS TO SYNC and thus, start out with NONE selected and let the user choose. Why is that so hard?

Respected Contributor

@pstone You know you can drill down into a folder on box (via browser) and select folders to sync to the desktop?  You don't have to grab all or nothing.  I do this all the time.  Using the browser sync toggle feature it is fairly painless to select what folders to select/unselect for syncing.

To the original post, having read all of them, it sounds like the original request is to be able to select, by file type, what to sync or skip over.  As an administrator, I could see value in this as well.  I may want to allow users to use box sync to sync their My Documents folder - but not every family photo or downloaded MP3s.  Even with that scenario I can see problems.  I don't see of a way of being able to discriminate between photos that are good (company IP) and personal - same for any other file.  Don't get me wrong, I do think there is value, but it can be a slippery slope.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, I know this. However the issue is go and install box sync on the Mac.

Now... turn off the 3000 folders syncing. Aside from turning off the sync completely, there's nothing you can do individually on the Mac.

Are you saying that if sync is off on the Mac, all I need to do is go to the web browser and sync the one folder I need? But then how does that happen if Sync is turned off? Turn it back on? Then you're syncing 3000 folders again? How is the one folder I chose online differentiated? 

See... there seems to be a design flaw here.

Respected Contributor

@pstone I think you may need to revisit the box web experience again.  If you log into box using Safari - or whatever browser you use, then click on the icon next to a folder in your folder tree.  Look to the right side of the browser and you'll see "Sharing" and "Details" - these are tabs of info for the folder you've clicked on.  Sharing shows who has access to the folder.  Details will show file owner, file size, etc - but it also has a "Sync to Desktop" toggle.  This is where you should be controlling what is sync'd - versus what isn't.  This is how I go into a directory that is many folders deep and choose a single directory I need - while ignoring everything else.

You should see what I'm talking about unless you have the legacy user interface active.  You can see the new interface by going to:  https://box.com/on/allnewbox

Occasional Contributor

ok- so the issue is that for some reason, everything seems to be defaulted to SYNC on the website instead of not. There doesn't seem to be a clear global UNSYNC everything option nor an easy, intuitive tree view of this like there is on Google Drive. 

I can select all folders but then there's no selective global UNSYNC

I can't go through 3000 folders to unsync them online - that would take hours. However with a tree span view, it would take a minute.

Thanks for all your inputs!

Respected Contributor

@pstone I don't know what your IT department may have done but my folders default to NOT sync to the desktop.  You have to specify what is sync'd.

I don't know what your rights to box are (permissions), but if you're saying everything is sync'ing, then I would go to the root of my folder tree and just turn those sync folders off.  All rights and actions cascade - so if a root folder is instructed to sync to the desktop - then everything below it will too.  If you turn that off - you turn it off for everything below it too.

Occasional Contributor

Sounds good - At least they cascade! 

Thanks for your help!

New Contributor

I thought the original issue was about syning different files on different computer desktops, rather than synching all or nothing an different machines. Just to be clear, this is still not an option, correct?

Occasional Contributor

NOT an acceptable solution. Sorry.

Please implement per device selective sync. NOW.

Occasional Contributor

Yes - I agree... it should be machine dependent. 

Respected Contributor

@wpkurtz My reply was to @pstone, his question was different from the original post.

As for everyone that continues to ask for selective sync'ing of folders using box sync - please visit this thread:

https://community.box.com/t5/Help-Forum/How-do-I-sync-selectively-between-two-computers/m-p/26415#M1...

Do you selectively sync your email?  If you use VDI, do you try to selectively virtualize your desktop experience depending on the computer - rather than the login?  The concept is not valid as a whole.

New Contributor

I must also disagree with your assessment of the validity of the concept, as other uses have disagreed with your opinion. Other cloud systems (like dropbox) allow you to selectively sync different folders to different machines (as explained here: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/175). The users in the thread you link to also provide cogent examples of how other systems make use of this feature.

Visitor

This "solution" does not work. When I select "sync to computer" on the folder in my box account it appears on all of my machines, not just the one on which I make the selection.

What am I doing wrong, because I don't understand how what you suggested would "partially sync" a folder.

Really limits usefullness of box, as I cannot sync large folders from a desktop, because they will fill up my lap top and tablet hard drives....

New Contributor

Dropbox has this solved. Each machined can sync different folders.

It is absolutely absurd that this has not been resolved - the original post was in 2015!!. People want a system that will backup each computer separately, simply by placing the items they want backed up in a single directory. However, this is currently an 'all-or-none' function - every file from every computer that is 'sync'd' gets loaded onto EVERY computer. I have 5 work computers, each with terabytes of data - there is NO WAY i can use this function without completely filling up each machines hard drive. My solution (which really is not a solution) is to only sync 1 computer using the desktop utility. The remaining computers i have reverted back so using the web browser to drag and drop files onto box.