Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
The blueprint for the future of work
Register today!
Attend BoxWorks
Desktop, meet cloud.
Box Drive is the easiest and fastest way to connect to the cloud — without changing the way you work.
View resources
Occasional Contributor

Uninstalling Problems--Box Sync Still Shows Up on System Tray in Windows 7

Hi, We are trying to cleanly uninstall Box Sync 4 in order to properly install and execute Box Drive. Box Drive installs, but it doesn't execute load because (I suspect) Box Sync 4 still shows up on the system tray. IT and I have gone into the registry to remove it: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > BOX > BoxSync . We restart the computer and Box Sync.exe still shows up. Box Drive doesn't load. Other users do not have this problem. Does anyone know a work around or what I can do? We have re-installed Box Sync 4, unsynced folders, and logged her out. We can re-install Box Sync 4 and force it to install somewhere else, but I read it can't load from an external drive. Would it be good to delete her Box account and have her start from scratch? --Tess
Community Manager

Re: Uninstalling Problems--Box Sync Still Shows Up on System Tray in Windows 7

Hi @TessSFO,

Thanks for your very detailed post!

You are correct that Box Drive won't allow you to install when Box Sync is still on the computer. Have you checked out the uninstallation instructions in this KB article?

If that doesn't help, please post any error messages you are seeing or which step is failing. This will help out other members of the community to answer your question.

Thanks again for posting!

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

It seems that Box Sync won't clear out of the user's system tray-even though IT has scoured it from the registry in two locations (HKEY SOFTWARE and we tried looking for it in the system tray and it doesn't pop up on the registry) ... in the meantime, Box Drive is dead set on not executing.

The user has all hidden folders and files "revealed" in Windows 7 so when we do a search in Windows Explorer nothing comes up.

Thank you for re-posting the uninstall article it just helps to see that we have not missed anything in the process.

For some reason her Windows 7 machine keeps thinking that it needs to sync somewhere, so we may try re-installing Box Sync (for a third time!!) and seeing what can be unsynced...however, in the Admin console I have revoked her access to the folder structures at the parent level. I can re-instate her access in Admin and we can re-install Box Sync 4 and manually unsync in the cloud from her machine.

My only other solutions is deleting the user's account and giving it a day or so to clean out: her browsing history, temp files stored locally on her computer (again) and anything else we must have missed.

Tess

Community Manager

Hi @TessSFO,

Just following up to see if you're still experiencing this issue with Box Drive installation?

If so, you can contact Box Support to help you directly and you can provide them with the troubleshooting steps you already have done!

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for checking in. As I suspected, IT and I could not execute Box Drive when Box Sync was still running in the system tray-not task tray.

IT performed a clean uninstall, but it was still running. With me as Box Admin, our IT and Box Helpdesk Support, we did the following:

1. Uninstalled Box Drive.

2. Reinstalled Box Sync.

3. Logged the user back in.

4. Unsynced all folders.

5. Resysnced a test folder.

6. Logged her out.

7. Box Helpdesk worked magic on their end.

8. Logged her back in.

9. Unsync'd folder.

10. Logged her out.

11. Called IT to initiate Box Sync uninstall.

12. Also removed desktop shortcuts, temp files in Users and, went into RegEdit to remove Folder HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE-SOFTWARE-BOX-BOX SYNC

13. Removed everything else.

14. Verified to see if Box Sync was still running in the system tray.

15. All clear, but now we have to install Box Drive to see if it will execute.

...to be continued!

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unsuccessful in uninstalling BOX sync and loading BOX Drive?

I had opened up a ticket a week ago and was given a general answer of how to uninstall and reinstall. This did not solve the issue.

I experienced that SAME issues as listed in this thread. BOX sync is nowhere to be found in any folders or files but shows up on the system tray of the task bar.

I was sure to have done everything needed. Here is what I have did:

1. Uninstalled Box Sync and installed BOX Drive with no success. I've done this MANY times.
2. All files and folders have been deleted in Program Data, App Data, Users folder and everywhere else you can add you can think of. 
3. Registry has been cleared of anything regarding BOX

4. Ran the .NET Framework Repair Tool  and then uninstalled and reinstalled .NET Framework 4.6.2 and forced rebooted.

5. Installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86), (x64 was already installed) no luck.

6. FOR KICKS decided to installed MS Visual C++ 2015 package too, x86 and x64 and rebooted.  *******THIS SOLVED THE ISSUE******

After rebooting BOX prompt launched and I was able to log on successfully.

Thinking the issue here was driven by the missing MS Visual C++ 2008 x86 and adding MS Visual C++ 2015 x86 and x64.

If you having this issue and are sure that you have done 1-4 above then validate if steps 5 and 6 do the trick.

Like if this works.

New Contributor

I was able to replicate the success to my initial post a few times but there is one thing to note and it's very important.

For whatever reason, in 2 instances (and perhaps because this is a BETA version and needs some of the bugs removed) when BOX Drive was installed it didn't work because BOX Sync reappeared in the App Data folder. BOX Sync had been previously removed and NO traces could be found. Once I removed the phantom reinstall of BOX Sync and rebooted then BOX Drive worked. It did take 2 reboots for BOX Drive to show up for logging on when encountering this issue.

Also, it seems the issue might be known because once I had the user log into BOX Drive a corrupted BOX Sync folder reappeared on the users desktop.

Then a comment box appeared asking to fill in a description of the issue along with sending log files to BOX. 

Occasional Contributor

I will try this out with IT when the user has a chance to have their machine worked on.

=Tess