Thanks for your very detailed post!
You are correct that Box Drive won't allow you to install when Box Sync is still on the computer. Have you checked out the uninstallation instructions in this KB article?
If that doesn't help, please post any error messages you are seeing or which step is failing. This will help out other members of the community to answer your question.
Thanks again for posting!
Unsuccessful in uninstalling BOX sync and loading BOX Drive?
I had opened up a ticket a week ago and was given a general answer of how to uninstall and reinstall. This did not solve the issue.
I experienced that SAME issues as listed in this thread. BOX sync is nowhere to be found in any folders or files but shows up on the system tray of the task bar.
I was sure to have done everything needed. Here is what I have did:
1. Uninstalled Box Sync and installed BOX Drive with no success. I've done this MANY times.
2. All files and folders have been deleted in Program Data, App Data, Users folder and everywhere else you can add you can think of.
3. Registry has been cleared of anything regarding BOX
4. Ran the .NET Framework Repair Tool and then uninstalled and reinstalled .NET Framework 4.6.2 and forced rebooted.
5. Installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86), (x64 was already installed) no luck.
6. FOR KICKS decided to installed MS Visual C++ 2015 package too, x86 and x64 and rebooted. *******THIS SOLVED THE ISSUE******
After rebooting BOX prompt launched and I was able to log on successfully.
Thinking the issue here was driven by the missing MS Visual C++ 2008 x86 and adding MS Visual C++ 2015 x86 and x64.
If you having this issue and are sure that you have done 1-4 above then validate if steps 5 and 6 do the trick.
Like if this works.
I was able to replicate the success to my initial post a few times but there is one thing to note and it's very important.
For whatever reason, in 2 instances (and perhaps because this is a BETA version and needs some of the bugs removed) when BOX Drive was installed it didn't work because BOX Sync reappeared in the App Data folder. BOX Sync had been previously removed and NO traces could be found. Once I removed the phantom reinstall of BOX Sync and rebooted then BOX Drive worked. It did take 2 reboots for BOX Drive to show up for logging on when encountering this issue.
Also, it seems the issue might be known because once I had the user log into BOX Drive a corrupted BOX Sync folder reappeared on the users desktop.
Then a comment box appeared asking to fill in a description of the issue along with sending log files to BOX.
I will try this out with IT when the user has a chance to have their machine worked on.