No option to open with Excel

SOLVED
Frequent Visitor

No option to open with Excel

Hi there,

I'm trying to open a file (literally any file) with Excel 2016 on my computer, but the only options are to open with the Box desktop app or with Excel Online. How do I add my actual Excel app to the list of options?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES
Highlighted
Box Employee

Re: No option to open with Excel

Hi @mwilbanks,

Thank you for posting in Box's Community Forum!

You might want to go over this link for some background information on Box Edit.

Regarding your question --

Box Edit uses the default application installed on your computer to open and editfiles: Docx files open in Microsoft Word, PPTx files open in Microsoft PowerPoint, Xlsx files open in Excel, and so forth.

• If you change the default program Box Edit utilizes, Box Edit will then open with that new program. This link explains how you can adjust the default program per OS.

I hope this helps!

Best,

James - Box Support

Regular Visitor

This "solution" does not restore the option to Open with Excel.  All files types are pointing to the correct office program and Box still does not give the option to Open with Excel.

Box Certified Professional

@AngelaK42,

Is the behavior the same when you try in a different web browser?

Bob

Yes, every browser.

Untitled.png

Box Certified Professional

I recommend reinstalling Box Edit.

Bob

New Contributor

I am having the same exact issue as well as all of my collaborators, it's like the option to open the file went away overnight. 

Also, I'm not sure if this is related but some of my collaborators are starting to have issues with not being able to save files when opened up from their sync file. The files which are suppose to be synced are giving a read only error when they click the save button. It is wanting to force them to change the file name rather than save over previous versions. No permissions have been changed in our admin console. 

Community Manager

Hi @dynamic

Have you checked out the links and suggestions from previous threads from James?

Have you also reinstalled Excel?

Appreciate your clarification on what you're seeing!

Visitor

I am having the same issue on Win 10 Pro and all of the default apps are linked correctly to corresponding MS Office programs. And yes I tried all of the links. Does it make a difference if I am using Office 365?

I have reinstalled Box Edit five times.

New Contributor

I was having the same problem with suddenly not being able to open any of the MS Office documents (Word, Excel, Power Point) with the respective MS Office programme... the only option I was given was to open the document using the "online" programme. This was when I was while using the standard internet web browser. I have subsequently discovered that if I use Google Chrome then all the functionality of the Box Edit tools becomes available and I can now open the documents using the MS Office programs on my computer.

My recommendation is therefore to launch Google Chrome, login to Box.Com, try opeing an MS Office document and see if the problem is resolved.

Good luck

Andrew

Users online (365)