Moving shared folder in my local Box

SOLVED
Go to solution
New Contributor

Moving shared folder in my local Box

Someone shared a folder with me, and I added it to my local Box Sync. It was automatically copied to the root of my Box folder: C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Box Sync\Someones_shared_folder

I have my own file structure, and I tried to move this folder into my own hierarchy. Box did not like it. Question is - how can I store this shared folder here instead, and maintain sync?

C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Box Sync\My_favorite_folder\Another_folder\Someones_shared_folder

12 REPLIES
Box Employee

Re: Moving shared folder in my local Box

Hi @jbwhite.

Box does not allow you to change the folder path of an item shared with you that is owned by another user.

Unfortunately this means that folders shared with you will always appear at your root level on Box.com and by extension, in Box Sync.

Hope this helps.

New Contributor

Thank you for the explanation. I can deal with it.

Occasional Visitor

Is this something you plan to change in coming versions? You should at least by default put all the folders that are shared to you in a folder called "SharedWithMe" or similar.

If I sync a folder shared to me to my computer I am able to move the folder freely. Does this remove the link to shared folder?

That's exactly what I think!  If someone shares his/her folder with me, it should be saved in a "SharedWithMe" folder.

I'm in a large organization, and at least, 20 co-workers have shared folders with me, 2, 3 and even 4 different folders each one! So, my root folder is a mess. Smiley Sad

I hope you soon check the ability to move the folders that people shared with me to another location.

Thanks!

Regards!

New Contributor

Your reply was all I could find online for a "solution" to this problem. Has anything changed since then? My institution has migrated to Box and I'm really displeased with the lack of organization. Thank you!

Box Certified Professional

I just want to jump in with a couple comments on the thread.

• Don't sync any subfolder or folder that you don't need to have on your computer. Sync is best used for offline access. All things considered Box Edit is the most efficient and effective tool for interfacing with content in your Box account. I'd be happy to share examples of users in my enterprise who have come to regret over-syncing content or simply not really understanding Box Sync and paying a price.
  • Box Sync's days are numbered anyway. Box Desktop will be out early next year, giving you a direct mapped drive experience to Box. This is a critical development for users' workflow but also for any Box environment where users are given unlimited storage. Box Sync and unlimited storage are two trains on the same track headed for a collision.
  • You can't move folders out of your root that you don't own. This is a reality of Box that is unlikely to change.
  • Box's new UI (test for yourself at https://box.com/on/allnewbox, probably best to log into your box account first) currently gives you the ability make your Favorites (files and folders) your home page in Box. Additional filtered views such as Recents, Saved Searches and possibly custom collections are to follow. As these filtered views become available in the left sidebar the plan, as I understand it, is to make those additional options to set as your Box home page. Read more at https://blog.box.com/blog/all-new-box/.

Cheers,

Bob

What?!?!?! Really.  You have to be kidding.  This is making Box virtually unusable!  I'm getting several new shared folders every month and the pace is accelerating.  I read complaints on this matter that well over a year old.  You guys haven't fixed this yet?

A friendly piece of advice.  You don't actually to allow user to change the true path of a shared folder.  You just need to allow them to change the location of that folder in THEIR VIEW of the path.  In other words, this can be implemented with pointers.  In fact, you must already do that to some extend with shared folders - otherwise they couldn't appear to be in multple users' roots.

This is not solved!

I need a way to organize files and folders shared with me that is better than them all residing at root! Far too many folders are shared within my company for this to be acceptable!

@cadelsheim,

Your Box account is essentially two things - a login and a data container. Your login gives you access to your data container and access to portions of others' data containers that they invite you into. You can do whatever you want with folders in your data container, including move them. You cannot move others' data containers. What you can do is favorite folders or files that are most important to you at the present time and make Favorites your home page. 

This doesn't meet everyone's needs, but it does allow you to ignore folders you may see as noise and get your work done.

Sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for.

Bob

Frequent Visitor

Hello all, my company is relatively new to Box, but you all know why I am here!

Bob wrote:

You can't move folders out of your root that you don't own. This is a reality of Box that is unlikely to change.

This is something that came to light very early and I am hearing a lot of noise about it. We are trying to get some local shared drives decommissioned, so storage with Box has been going decent, but when it comes to collaborating and sharing, the folders in root get out of control very quickly. 

I am tagging along and holding out hope this changes at some point!

@djcollins5 and others on this thread.

As @BobFlynn-IU said, it's unlikely that shared folder placement will change. I have two ideas that may help, though.

1. create a root-level folder for all of the content you own. Call it "Home" or something. You can rearrange the folders you own within that to your hearts content. And it will mean that everything else in All Files essentially becomes your "Shared with me" area.
  2. Think about the problem differently.
    1. Utilize favorites to put things you currently care about in one place. Since any folder or file can be favorited, you are not restricted by folder structures or file placement in Favorites.
    2. Within Favorites and All Files, make use of sorting by "Updated", automatically pushing active folders to the top of your list.
    3. Use the Recents view.
    4. In Account settings, change the Home page to Favorites or Recents, depending on your preference.
    5. Within your Account Settings, change your "Files and Folders per page" to 100 to reduce paging.

Even though Box seems pretty committed to the folder display, they are adding features like Favorites and Recents to help. Give these a try.

MaryBeth

New Contributor

This is frustrating to say the least.

The favorites trick doesn't work with the Box program IT installed. 

It would be nice to be able to sort the folder of Slides that John shared, versus SLIDES that Mary shared versus Slide that Jim shared into their respective project folders that I have. No, I cannot rename them. I can tag some of them but not all of them.