Loading a previous version: An error has occurred while loading this feature

Loading a previous version: An error has occurred while loading this feature

I need help recovering an old version of my files but everytime I try to look at old versions a message appears: 'An error has occurred while loading this feature.'

How can I sort this out?!?!

23 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Loading a previous version: An error has occurred while loading this feature

Hi @louiseford156,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community!

Do you see the error message when you try to preview the older version or download the new version/set it as current? Are you an editor of the folder and have the necessary permissions?

Can your folder owner change the file version? Thanks for your info and appreciate sharing this information with the community!

New Contributor

Re: Loading a previous version: An error has occurred while loading this feature

I have the same problem.

I get an error message, when I click on versions

I have the same problem as well. Can't view Previous Versions of any files.

New Contributor

is there a solution for this yet?

Community Manager

Hi @roake and others,

Thanks for your post and question!

Your post seems like it may require account specific information/configuration and a user service agent can help you troubleshoot this issue. For those, you should contact Box Support to help you directly, or for other support options, visit this page.

I have the same error. Can't believe that this has not been sorted out!

Community Manager

Hi @MarcelHoffmann,

If you have a specific issue,  contact Box Support to help you directly, or for other support options, visit this page.

Respected Contributor

Hello All,

It is always more helpful to identify the issue rather than hurling frustrations.  If any of you are still experiencing this issue, can one of you please provide complete steps on what you're doing and the results you see when you do them?  For example:

1. Using Chrome I log into box.

2. I locate the file and click on [v12] to open versioning

3. I find the version I am looking for and click [download]

4. I see the following error <screenshot>

This type of information helps us help you.  I don't work for box - I'm just trying to help my colleagues work through issues in my spare time.

Frequent Visitor

Sure!

1. Using Chrome I log into box.

2. I locate the file and click on [v3] to open versioning

3. I immediately get the error message " Error: An error has occurred while loading this feature."

It does not allow me to get to the step of finding the version I am looking for.  

New Contributor

I am also seeing the same behavior.  I tried from both Chrome and Firefox with same results.  I see the version number for the latest version, but when I click on the version number I get the error "An error has occurred while loading this feature"

The list of versions never shows up.

New Contributor

FYI - I am also the owner of the shared folder.

Community Manager

Hi @alvigland and @louiseford156,

Thanks for providing more info on this and yes this seems like an issue with version history.

Your post seems like it may require account specific information/configuration for a support agent to check out.

Please contact Box Support to help you directly and create a case with our support team!

Occasional Visitor

Same issue,

I'm the owner, using Safari on macOs Sierra. Clicking on [V42] and getting that error!

Community Manager

Hi @bleedr

This would be something our Box Support team would like to investigate with you and will require specific account information.

You should contact Box Support to help you directly.

Visitor

I have the same issue, do we need to upgrade the account is this feature available to "individual" account holders?

Box Employee

Hi All,

This seems like really weird behavior! Version history should not run into this issue. I would recommend opening a ticket reporting this to our User Services team since this is not expected behavior!

Cheers!

Occasional Visitor

Please how can I revert to the Old UI. I prefer that because I can access the version history. This new UI is an experiment, and it's very very bad because I can't access my precious old document through version history. It says: "An error has occurred while loading this feature.". I want the old box UI PLEASE!!!

Box Certified Professional

@UNILAGED,

I hate to be the bearer of sad tidings, but there is no going back to the old UI. The new UI has been made permanent for pretty much all users. If it's not permanent in your company's Box instance it will be quite soon.

If you are encountering an error message you should submit a ticket to Box Support to get assistance.

Bob

Visitor

Hello All,

is there a solution for this yet? i need to access a previous history version of excel file, and i get "An error has occurred" using internet explorer, chrome, and firefox. Please help urgently

Hi @sarantarek,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

I agree to @BobFlynn-IU's reply. Our support team will be best to contact for this kind of issue.

Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Box User Services.

File version history would allow you to restore an older version, however it does require having at least a Pro account to have this feature available.

The number of versions kept within the version history depends on the account level of the file owner, as well as the settings decided upon by your account administrator. By default, the number of saved file versions is as follows:

Personal Free - Unavailable*
Personal Pro - 10 Versions
Starter - 25 Versions
Business/Business Plus - 50 Versions
Enterprise - 100 Versions
Elite - Unlimited

Since you are under a free account, Unfortunately this feature is not available.

If there is anything else that I can assist you, please let me know.

Have a good one!

Best,

Katrina
Box User Services

Great!!! I was looking for a good reason to move to Dropbox. Done

Occasional Visitor

Howard:

Bad job, my friend. Verify the error by accessing your Box account via a web browser (versus the app or on the desktop). Attempt to download or otherwise access a file for which you have uploaded multiple versions. When you do, an error message will inform you that an error has occurred while loading this feature.

It is (or should be) clear that no user-specific information is required to ascertain the problem, that the problem is universal versus specific to a particular user, and that, quite frankly, Box.com has work to do on their end, and on their end only.

Your role is to ensure that Box.com understands this as well, and it is your obligation to obtain an official response, and any information related to a remedy. You should propose that a quick-fix/alternative/workaround be offered in the short-term for customers who have a great need, and who have been underserved by both you and the company.

I don't care who you are or what agenda you serve: good customer service and best business practices are indispensible. Ask Satan, if you don't agree.