Heic support

New Contributor

Heic support

When can we expect heic photos support?

13 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Heic support

Hi @1340Trump,

Thank you for your post! Currently Heic is not a supported preview file type. However, we appreciate your feedback and will consider it for our preview roadmap in the future.

The Box Community team shares selected conversations on the community back to other Box teams from time to time, including product feedback. However, if you'd like to provide direct feedback you can always submit a case to Box support.

Thanks for your help and time in the Community!

This is the latest default photo format for iOS 11 and needs to be supported asap.
This is likely a higher priority but now that it's a default file type. I'm not able to see any of my latest photo uploads - they're all blank.
Visitor

If you are having issues loading the picture, you can load it by sending it from the picture file instead of loading it through the Box app.  

Established Member

Thats a terrible advise ... being a box app user  and dealing with hundreds of photos i don't see this is a solution,,,, supporting the format must be a high priority ... 

Tags (3)

yes, we know HEIC is not a supported file for preview. that is the precise reason for the question. which was not answered in your reply. WHEN will HEIC be supported?

Hi @stogchris81,

Thanks for your post and feedback!

We appreciate you following up on this product feature request. Currently our product team has not made any public announcements about this feature, but please continue to kudos or share your use case with us to show how this would benefit you.

Thanks for your time in the Community and appreciate your help!

New Contributor

Re: HEIC support

This is a business strategy decision that Box needs to make; not a crowd-sourced feature request!
This is the default image file extension on all modern Apple endpoints. Is your intention to alienate the entire Android community? The Windows community?
Is your intention for your users to find workarounds, making you irrelevant? That is exactly what is happening right now, unless you change it.
Right now, my response to everyone I tried sharing images with is, “ Sorry everyone! Box doesn’t support the iPhone photos we uploaded. Give me some time to move everything out of Box and into Dropbox so that you don’t have to worry about converting the files for other collaborators. Sorry for the inconvenience!“
Box Certified Professional

OK, so I've been on iOS 11 since it shipped. I take photos all of the time. My Box app uploads them for me automatically. They are all JPGs. Have I just not configured my camera app to screw up my photos or is something else at work?  Should I feel bad that it works just fine for me? 

It also doesn't appear to affect my iPad, my MBP, my iWatch or any other modern Apple endpoint I own. All kidding aside, is this only a function of newer iPhones? Mine is a 6S. 

Some vendors are supporting HEIC natively and some are choosing to convert to JPG. Given that HEIC is designed to save storage space I am sure Box will see it in its interest to support it. 

Having worked with Box for several years I can tell you that the way to make a feature request is to submit a ticket with Box Support. This has the dual benefit of being aggregated in their request queue and also registers you as someone for them to get back to when they make progress on the request. 

What never works, if your goal really is to move Box, is to post indignant or exaggerated claims/demands on the user forum. While I understand the desire to vent, I personally get greater satisfaction in getting the vendor to do what I want. 

Cheers,

Bob

New Contributor

Now this is interesting.

On thé one side, a Box staff member says to “kudos” the desire to have this format supported as the best means to implement.

On the other side, we have (impassioned user? “Box Certified Professional”? Can’t decide which persona is posting…) stating submitting a help ticket is the best means to have the feature implemented.

I’ll follow the moderator’s advice. It’s not broken, it is a new request. Anyway, I don’t need follow up; I’m not moving it back to Box *now*. 🙄
Community Manager

Hi @Stanford1 and others,

Apologies for the confusion. Giving kudos helps us to aggregate feedback from the forums, but the best path to directly provide feedback to our product team is to submit a ticket through our User Services team.

Rest assured that this feedback is already with our product team and they are working on this update. We will continue to monitor the forums and escalate any feedback here, but please submit a ticket for further product feedback. 

Occasional Visitor

BOX Update to accept HEIC photos!

BOX is behind in times and needs to update to the current standard for iphone, the worlds most trusted mobile device, why is HEIC not accepted?

Box Certified Professional

Re: BOX Update to accept HEIC photos!

Hi @jldevault

Howard replied to a similar question earlier.  Here is his response.  I would not expect more until an official announcement. 

----------------

Thank you for your post! Currently Heic is not a supported preview file type. However, we appreciate your feedback and will consider it for our preview roadmap in the future.

The Box Community team shares selected conversations on the community back to other Box teams from time to time, including product feedback. However, if you'd like to provide direct feedback you can always submit a case to Box support.

Box Employee

Hi all, 

For now there is a workaround that allows preview of these file types on your mobile device. On your mobile device you can navigate to:

Settings -> Camera -> Formats -> Most Compatible (vs. High Efficiency)

This setting allows you to save, upload, and share their photos on Box with the compatible JPEG format, instead of the HEIC format.