Error: The current Box Sync cannot be used because Box Sync requires a NTFS or HFS file system....

Error: The current Box Sync cannot be used because Box Sync requires a NTFS or HFS file system....

Hello, I need  Box Sync to support APFS in order to continue using Box Sync.

I perform Apple beta testing/public preview for work and heavily rely on box sync to keep my work files in sync between by workstations. 

Please release a version that supports High Sierra soon! 

15 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Error: The current Box Sync cannot be used because Box Sync requires a NTFS or HFS file system..

Hi @JeffGrisso

Thank you for your post!

For MacOS/OS X, Box currently supports the two latest, released versions (see our Browser and OS Support article for details). So presently Sync does not support APFS.

The Box Community team shares selected conversations on the community back to other Box teams from time to time, including product feedback. However, if you'd like to provide direct feedback, I recommend that you submit a case to Box support.

Thanks for your help and time in the Community!

New Contributor

Re: Error: The current Box Sync cannot be used because Box Sync requires a NTFS or HFS file system..

I only wanted to add an expression of interest in seeing Box Drive support for High Sierra sooner, versus later. 

Community Manager

Ah, understood Rus. Thanks for the feedback!

Occasional Visitor

Fully agree. I'd also argue that if Box releases a beta-level version (use at your own risk) before High Sierra comes out of beta they will have a more  solid product when it GAs. Once the first supported version comes out if they have issues that will reflect badly on Box.

New Contributor

I got the new Box Drive to work with macOS 10.13 (currently on beta 5). This is absolutely unsupported by Box I am sure. 

Install the latest osxfuse from https://osxfuse.github.io

Install the latest Box Drive (quit out after the errors)

Trash /Library/Filesystems/box.fuse

Duplicate osxfuse.fs (select to highlight the file , press command-D)

rename the osxfuse copy.fs to box.fs

Re-launch Box.app

Enjoy!

New Contributor

I forgot to mention, you will need to use Pacifist from http://charlessoft.com in order to override the install check for macOS version.

Regular Visitor

Great work, thanks for this tip.  Works just fine for me.

Thanks @mpebley for that great post!

@usurper did this solve your question? If so, give 'em props and tell the community by clicking the Accept Solution button beneath @mpebley post!

Thanks for your time in the community and appreciate your help!

New Contributor

This actually does not address the Box Sync issue (which still will not work on an APFS volume, which imho is ridunkulous, since dropbox, onedrive, Google Drive all work fine).

This is a workaround to get Box Drive (Box.app) to work on macOS 10.13.x builds (the dev team should really look at using the latest osxfuse to get this straight).

Mike

OSX 10.13 is a BETA. Install a BETA and take the consequences. Now if box sync doesn't support APFS when it comes out of BETA., then add me to the group of dissatisfied (and paying) users.

New Contributor

Many thanks for the workaround. Box drive now seems to be running. Hopefully box will make an official update before too long (I guess high sierra is out of beta before too long anyhow)

YMMV but macOS 10.13 (17A360a) and Box Sync.app 4.0.7848 appear to be working fine for me. I upgraded to the new beta version of macOS and then installed Box Sync.app for the first time. No errors, and a successful sync. Box Tools also installed without error and seemingly full functionality. 

New Contributor

I contacted Box support for an ETA on the release of a Box Drive client that will support High Sierra and here is the response: "The ETA on releasing a Box Drive/Sync compatible with the upcoming release of Mac OS High Sierra by the end of this year (Quarter 3/4). "  Meanwhile I am using the Fuse OSX work around, thank you very much for the suggestion.

New Contributor

macOS High Sierra is now released to the public. It's absolutely flooring and completely unacceptable that a company like box would be caught with their pants down on something like this. DEVELOPER BETAS EXIST SO THAT DEVELOPERS CAN MAKE SURE THEIR SOFTWARE WORKS ON NEW VERSIONS OF THE OS. 

It's simply astounding that they would expect... what? That customers just avoid upgrading their computer until one program that they use finally gets around to getting up to date? Or that those of us who rely on box sync for work will just... do with out it until they get around to it? 

This is extremely frustrating and unprofessional. 

New Contributor

Happy to report that I was able to resolve the issue. Steps: 

1) Perform the upgrade to High Sierra

2) Uninstall Box Sync (drag the app to Trash)

3) Go to https://www.box.com/resources/downloads

4) Download and install the latest version of Box Sync

Shoutout to FreeMacSoft for their awesome utility to cleanly uninstall Mac Apps:
https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

That's it! Hope this helps someone else.