Creating a Shared Link Directly from the Mac Box Sync Integration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Creating a Shared Link Directly from the Mac Box Sync Integration

I have the Mac Box Sync client installed - but to share a file I have to add a file to a box folder, then right click it and locate in Box on the web - then click the buttons to turn it into a shared link ('anyone with the link')

Is there any way to create a shareable link directly from the Mac client without having to open the web every time ?

6 REPLIES

Re: Creating a Shared Link Directly from the Mac Box Sync Integration

Hi @MerlinkUK,

Thanks for your post in the Community!

Yes you can copy the Shared Link directly from Box Sync or Box Drive folder on your Mac. You may also visit this article for more info:

Occasional Contributor

But the default sharing level for every file is "People in this file" right ?

If I right-click a file in the Box folder on my drive and select 'Copy Link' or 'Email Link' - and then send that link to someone - it will be inaccessible until I explicitly go to the web and add them as a person in the shared list ?

Can the default level of sharing be changed to 'anyone with this lnk' ? Then I could right-click the file in the client and select 'Copy Link' or 'Email Link' - and i would be confident that the recipient of the link could access it.

Box Certified Professional

@MerlinkUK,

You are correct. The access level cannot be modified via the desktop applications. It is partly for this reason why I personally don't think the ability to copy the link should be included in the desktop applications at all. Until you can do everything from the desktop applications users are still going to have to use the web UI. Box Drive should focus on being excellent at connecting users to their content. Niceties like shared link and file lock should only be included once they bring the full associated functionality. </mini_rant>

Cheers,

Bob 

Hi @MerlinkUK,

You can modify the permission level on the web app (box.com). For example, you set the default permission to "People with the link", every time you're going to use the "Copy Link" on Box Sync/Box Drive, it will be accessible to all. You can do this by navigating on your Account Settings> Sharing> Shared Links> People with the link, etc.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the answer - but the default options for anything other than 'people in this folder or file' are greyed out ?

Account_settings___Powered_by_Box.png

Contributor

@MerlinkUK

That is because your Box admin has set that as the default setting for your company account for all new links.  If they permitted you to override that setting you can go to the Share setting for the file or folder you wish to share.  Select Get Shared Link.SharedLinkSettings1.PNG

Then select the Access Type you wish to set for that link.

SharedLinkSettings.PNG

Steve

Users online (1,447)