Box Drive - thumbnail previews don't display

SOLVED
Go to solution
New Contributor

Box Drive - thumbnail previews don't display

Is this intended?  Pretty awful to go through hundreds of pictures just seeing the default JPEG image instead of previews.

I have to open a picture for it to show the preview, and then it doesn't save this preview.  I often find that ones that had been showing don't show anymore.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

macOS 10.12.6

Box Drive 1.0.31

21 REPLIES
Box Certified Professional

Re: Box Drive - thumbnail previews don't display

@Tullimonstrum,

I don't know if "intended" is the right word, but it is certainly not a bug. The reason you don't see previews is because the images are not on your machine. In order to make Drive work and to allow it to keep up with the ever-changing nature of your Box content, they simply show you pointers to your files, not the files themselves. The reason you see the thumbnail of an image if you open it is because that image is not in the local Box Drive cache folder. Eventually that will get pushed out of the cache folder and you will no longer have the preview. 

Box has certainly heard this request and are brainstorming on ways they could do it, but I'm guessing that most users would vote for speed and currency of information over image previews. I think if Box can deliver it all, they will do so. Bear in mind that Box Drive is still in beta and even after its full release not all of the desired functionality. If they waited until everything was there, we'd never get it. I want preview as well, but there are other features that I need them to have before I can promote it to my users. I'd much rather they spend time on basics like file locking before they work to solve the preview issue.

So it's not you or your machine. It's just something lower down the priority list. Depending on our line of work it could be a showstopper. I hope it's not, but if it is, you can just forget Drive for a bit and come back when they've got it.

Cheers,

Bob

New Contributor

I'm with you, original poster.  To me, it is unhelpful not to be able to see preview images.  I understand what the responder said about the files not residing on the local machine, but there's gotta be a way for the smart Box people to figure out how to show us thumbnails.  Like you, I can't constantly open images just to see what they are.

The reason I installed Box is so I'd have a cloud option for the BlackBerry Classics my wife and I use (along with a number of Android and Apple devices, so no BlackBerry shaming, please).  Dropbox no longer works on the BlackBerry, but Box does.  But not being able to see the preview images may be a deal-breaker.

EDIT:  I just discovered that if I right click on an image file, ACDSee (the image-editing software I use for certain tasks) does pop up an image preview.  So, there MUST be some image preview information residing on the local machine.  I'm no techno wizard, but it would seem that the smarties at Box should be able to tap the same metadata as ACDSee is to show us image thumbnails.  Correct me if I'm wrong, of course...

@IndyVeggie59,

I understand your frustration, but the simple fact is that it is an issue with the local file system, not Box. Your local file system cannot show you the thumbnail or preview if the file is not on the computer. If you want all of the files on the computer you don't have a cloud drive. You can use Box Sync now or when Box Drive is out of beta you can mark them for offline. Once you have the file locally your computer will be able to show you the thumbnail.

Bob

New Contributor

Roger that, but see my edit of my posted reply.  It would seem that
there *is* image data on the local machine???

@IndyVeggie59,

I'm not familiar with that software, but all the test indicates is that the software was able to reach out to the source and get the image data. I suspect it would probably also pull the image metadata as well. It's unclear from the vendor's site what kind of call they are making to retrieve that, but it clearly an active process. If you feel it would make Box Drive a better tool for you if Box were to build in image analysis software into it, I recommend submitting it as a feature request. I would be concerned about the performance implications, but you never know what they can do.

Bob

New Contributor

For anyone in graphic design or photography this is an ABSOLUTE DEALBREAKER. Moreover, they've removed the opportunity to SYNC certain folders (like specific ones where previews are NECESSARY) so I am now dead in the water. This absolutely needs to be moved up the priority list unless you want the professional creative community to abandon the platform. 

@andrewcaruso,

Can you say more about what you mean when you write:

they've removed the opportunity to SYNC certain folders (like specific ones where previews are NECESSARY)

Are you referring to Box Drive or Box Sync? 

Bob

New Contributor

Box Drive. As I understand it, Box Drive is in beta (and therefore lacks this functionality) and the full version is going to allow people to sync specific folders for offline access, correct? My response above highlights the critical need for the full version to have this functionality. 

@andrewcaruso,

Yes, the final release of Box Drive will have "mark for offline". That functionality is a top priority deliverable and should come out for testing sometime in the coming months.

Bob

New Contributor

DROPBOX OFFERS "THUMBNAILS" OF THE FILES WHEN SOMEONE SENDS YOU A "DROP BOX LINK" - NOT SURE WHY "BOX" CAN'T DO THE SAME THING.

New Contributor

Does this mean that Box is working on thumbnail preview of files?  

Drive File Stream has this capability already....

Box- Please figure out how to show thumbnails.

New Contributor

This is a completely unhelpful answer... this is NOT an issue with the local file system it is 100% an issue with Box Drive.. It doesn't seem that hard to download a thumbnail for each photo or video -- or have the option to do so ... if box intends to align the box sync and box drive builds they are going to have to figure this out. It just doesn't seem that hard to me.

Google Drive File Stream does the best job in regards to native search on device and showing previews all while intelligently managing space/sync. Much like Box Drive all files in Google DFS are stored online and pulled down as needed by the user, this extended to previews of images which happens instantly for files not local to the disk.  Box is so close, even better than Dropbox Smart Sync, if they could only clear these last few hurdles! 

Occasional Visitor

performance of having a thumbnail preview isn't an issue in dropbox.  I don't know if it's getting info locally or reaching out to the cloud, but it's pretty fast.  So, it's doable.  I'm not crazy about not having  preview, but I'm looking for an alternative to dropbox.  Everything I've seen with box so far I've liked, except this.

Visitor

This is not a solution, it is only a response.  A solution would provide a way to see previews of images.  Otherwise, for anyone working with images, Box is unusable.

The thing for me is that the thumbnails used to show. I got a message that there was a box update so I selected it. Since then, I can no longer see thumbnails for my photos.

Visitor

I found a workaround (that at least works on Mac)!

If you copy the files into a local folder (ie "Downloads") and then copy the files from the local folder back to the Box folder and select to replace the original, the files will now have previews available.

A bit of a hassle, but this has been a lifesaver for me. Good luck!

Occasional Contributor

It appears that the thumbnails work on a Mac, as long as you open the image first. But the thumbnails still won't show on Windows, even after opening the image. 

Community Manager

Hi @acivory,

You're correct that this should be happening when you open the file image, but if you're not seeing this behavior on a Windows machine then you should contact our support team to troubleshoot:

Users online (257)