This guide contains common Box Sync issues and what to do if files are not syncing.
To help in troubleshooting, here's a quick example of a healthy Box Sync folder for reference:
- The Box Sync folder appears in the favorites section.
- If the Box Sync folder is not here, make sure you have Box Sync installed and that is it installed on a local native drive (not a network or external drive). It will be on a local native drive by default.
- Files and folders with blue check mark icons indicate successful syncing.
- On Windows, if there are no icons, you may be logged out of Box Sync.
- If there are yellow icons, Box Sync is scanning your folder tree and/or syncing your content.
- If there are red icons, there was an error syncing that item.
- The Box icon appears in the system tray/menu bar to indicate that Box Sync is running and you are logged in.
- On Windows this is a blue Box, on Macs it is a black "b".
- If the Box icon is gray (gray "b" on mac), make sure you are logged in to Box Sync.
- If the icon is not there, try restarting Box Sync from the Start Menu or Spotlight Search.
Box Sync provides detailed user notifications if a file cannot be synced. To see the list of current problem files, go to the Box Sync icon in your system tray or menu bar and select the "Error Syncing File" option:
Check the list below for the error notification you've received:
- Box server is busy
- Cannot create the temp folder
- File could not be synced
- File deleted on Box
- File locked by another application
- File locked by Box
- File too large
- File Stored in .boxsync Folder
- File type not supported
- Folder cannot be moved
- Folders cannot be converted to Mac packages
- Issue deleting a folder
- Legacy package download disabled
- Low disk space
- Mac packages cannot be converted to folders
- Name in use
- Name not supported
- Network problem
- Parent folder has been deleted
- Permission issue on Box
- Quota exceeded
- Unknown problem
If you are unable to resolve your Sync issue using the resources above, please submit your Sync logs and open a case with our User Services team who will help you troubleshoot the problem further.