Box Drive v2.12 Release Notes

Box Drive v2.12 Release Notes

In this release we have included the following enhancements:

• Support for future Device Trust changes
  • Reduced Box Drive Log sizes when users submit logs
  • Users are informed after an update if they need to reboot their machine

We have also resolved the following bugs:

• Resolved incompatibilities with SmarTeam and Box Drive which caused SmarTeam to crash
  • Certain file paths were failing to open from Box Drive Search > Open Containing Folder
  • Improved performance when opening large folders where some folders within it are marked for offline use
  • Some top level folders metadata failed to update sporadically unless a child folder was opened
  • Some file downloads were incorrectly retried many times by Box Drive in certain race conditions where the file is changed on Box.com and requested in Box Drive at the same time
  • The Cloud icon was mistakenly showed instead of the Pending icon in cases where Box Drive is trying to sync many changes in a short time
  •  
12 Comments
Box Employee
Status changed to: Rolling Out

Contributor

The status of this was set to "rolling out" 2 weeks ago and I have still not been prompted to update... Why does it take SO long for these rollouts? @kywil0327 

Contributor

I echo @acivory 's question.  We are waiting to see if this addresses a specific issue that we've had open for a few months now.

Box Employee

@weigh2tall @acivory - Apologies for the delay.  We hit some bugs in the beginning of the release and have had to re-release.  We are hoping this will ship to enterprise users starting sometime this week.

Box Certified Professional

Is there a direct link the the MSI installer for 2.12 yet? 

New Contributor

Is there any update to this @kywil0327 

Contributor

@kywil0327   Any updates?  It's been another month?

Box Employee

Unfortunately, we have found another issue potentially due to incompatibilities with CrashPlan and new changes in Box Drive.  We have paused the release while we are investigating this.  At this point, we do expect to release another new version. 

Some additional info to be transparent given the continued delays.....  Given the long release timeline of 2.11 (risky release due to the large changes to move onto Python 3), we have accumulated a larger than normal number of changes in 2.12.  Every change adds risk and unfortunately, we have found a few items we want to resolve prior to releasing.  We are working through this, please hang in there!

Contributor

Thanks for the insight behind the delays.  Appreciate the diligence in resolving the issues.  Any chance you could post a bi-weekly or monthly update if this continues to linger?  Glad to hear that Box Drive isn't dying.  

Contributor

@kywil0327 Thanks for the update - You mentioned some incompatibilities with CrashPlan - my company uses that and I wonder if some of the recurring issues I keep seeing deal with CrashPlan. We have no option of leaving CrashPlan at my company, so I hope Box does what is needed, soon, to fix things otherwise we will likely need to look for options other than Box. Thanks.

Box Employee

@acivory the Crashplan issue in this was release was isolated to 2.12 and was reverted.  If you are having issues with Crashplan in earlier release please open a support ticket.  

Box Employee
Status changed to: Launched