Launched: New Groups Management User Interface in the Admin Console

Box Employee

Now, Box will make it easier than ever to create and manage groups. Our new interface makes it easier to create, edit, update, and empower groups to have access to the right content with the right members.

Comments
Contributor

How long before we see a write up describing the new options and features available in the change in groups and group admin permissions?

Community Manager

Hi @ITIOps - we've updated the article Creating and Managing Groups to include the new changes.

Hope that helps!

Contributor
Good start, but how about enumerating the various permissions given to the Group Admin and the new granular settings for Group Admins?
Thanks
Community Manager

Thanks for the recommendation @ITIOps!

I've given your feedback to our Technical Writing team. We're always trying to improve our content on the Box Community!

Box Certified Professional

A very strong second to @ITIOps's request. Documentation of that new functionality is sorely needed. The current documentation, while helpful, covers what is largely a cometic change to the group management page. The changes to Group Admin permmissions is an important and long-awaited new tool for administrators and our security-minded overlords. This is not a nice-to-have, but a must-have and should be priroritized accordingly.

Thanks,

Bob

Box Employee

@BobFlynn-IU @ITIOps - I'd recommend checking out our updated How & When to Designate Group Admins article that has some more details about the customizable Group Admin permissions. 

Box Certified Professional

Thanks, @Brad. That document is helpful in so far as it gives the mechanics of where to find the new granular permissions. Right now the security implications of the choices one makes in those new settings are only exposed when one mouses over the (i) next to the choice and even there it is only explained in brief. It would be helpful if each of those settings were listed in that document and a fuller explaination given for what the enable/disable.

One example is "Manage group member accounts". The info bubble says "Allow Group Admin to edit user accounts for the members in this group from the Users tab..." It does not expand on what it means to edit user accounts. What can they change? Does "manage accounts" mean accessing user data? I realize that you need to have instant login to access data, but "manage accounts" sure sounds like it could include that.

My point is that you are compelling users to have to put together a number of pieces to construct a complete picture and not all will know where to find or even have access to all of those pieces. I coach a number of new Box admins as well as security officers new to Box on how to secure their instance and how to use Box's tools to meet their business needs. The security officer may not have access to the admin console and may only be relying on the published information. I just had this come up in one of these calls this morning. Too often this fundamentally important information about administrative best practices is at best a treasure hunt and at worst a secret handshake known only to the initiated. Box needs to put in a lot more work to address the practical daily needs of its administrators (not to mention its end users).

A little more than 2 cents.

Bob