Launched: Desktop, meet cloud: Say hello to Box Drive!

Box Employee

Box Drive is now available in public beta! It's the only unlimited cloud drive built for the enterprise, giving you infinite access to all of your files in Box by streaming them directly to your desktop. Now, you can have tens of millions of files right at your fingertips — without using much hard drive space.

Download the new Box Drive desktop app today!

Learn more:

Comments

I love the way the app works!  Are there any plans to have a mobile version of the app as well?

Box Certified Professional

@rarce,

I'm curious. What would that look like? How would it differ from the current Box mobile apps?

Bob

We are looking for an app that is more secure than Box Sync in that it would not actually put any Box data on your Mobile Device - it would just work like the desktop client for Box Drive which allows you to see the files easily and interact with them if you are logged in.

That pretty much describes the current Box mobile app. There are even MDM versions available.

Please add a visual distinciton in Finder for shared folders vesus private folders, as well as internal versus external shared folders.  Colored folders would be nice, but a status badge using the blue (shared) / yellow (private) / grey (external) scheme would work, too.

@BobFlynn-IU  I don't see it advertised in their feature set. This is one of the reasons it is completely disabled for our domain. Thanks for the heads-up.

Occasional Contributor

Box Drive Beta has worked great so far with some limited testing.

No major problems to date and I love the ability to save and attach email attachments as we have some major customers that do not allow emailed links.

I'm hoping they do something with the file retention on edited / opened files.

When you open a file, the opened filename is scrambled in the user folder and saved without an extension but it never gets deleted.

Box Sync deletes the files after 7 days and a reboot of the machine.

Also, if you add the correct file extension onto the scrambled filename, the file opens completely intact which could be a problem for sensitive info.

Wondering how they will address this in GA release as well as how they might handle multiple user environments.

@twok1129,

I encourage you to test across platforms if you haven't already. Current version of BD acts like a local drive on Windows but a network drive on Mac. That means dragging files is a move in Win and a copy in Mac. Hopefully they will standardize.

By file retention are you talking about rules for keeping data a certain period of time or are you just referring to the cache folder for Box Drive? The cache folder is limited by size rather than time. FWIW, that time limit for Box Sync is different on Windows and Mac. Consistency on all these things would be nice.

It is on the roadmap, or at least the request list, for the cached files to be encrypted.

HTH,

Bob

Occasional Contributor

Hey Bob,

We only have Windows machines at the moment but I agree, some consistency would be nice.

Yes talking about the files stored in the cache folder. 

The files all live there just without extensions.

Not a huge problem for us as everyone has their own dedicated workstation or laptop.

Potentially will have less data stored on the local machine than with Sync but it would be nice if the files didn't stay there forever.

Thanks,

Tim

New Contributor

One of the biggest problems I had with Box Sync was its inability to allow "Viewer"-only collaborators access to the files in Windows Explorer (or whatever the Mac equivalent is). We wanted to share view-only folders with hyperlinks between various documents that wouldn't work on the browser Box site, but would work in Windows Explorer. Does Box Drive allow "Viewer"-only collaborators to sync files?

Community Manager

Hi @sbrinton,

Thanks for your question! 

Box Drive respects the permissions on content, including those for Previewers and similar. This article has more detail, but here is the relevant excerpt: 

• Content with preview-only access will not be downloadable via Box Drive.  Instead, this content can be viewed by right-clicking on the content and selecting View on Box.com.

Hope that helps!

New Contributor

@scottdodds, thanks for the quick response. So Box Drive does not solve the issue I mentioned in my post, it seems.

Is there any chance Box is working on a solution to what I mentioned? Basically, I would like to share documents that can be viewed on Windows Explorer without being editable.

Community Manager

Hi @sbrinton,

My apologies! Looks like I misunderstood what you were looking for. I thought you needed a way to access read-only files from Windows Explorer. But it is true that the file itself is stored online in Box, and what I described is a way to get to and view that file online.

Sounds like you want to be able to download the file to the user's computer, but prevent the file from being editable on the user's machine? Is that correct?

That capability is nothing we have announced so far. But our Product team is actively soliciting feedback on Box Drive during the public beta - I encourage you to submit the details about your use case to our Product team directly via this form, or you can create a case with Box Support with your feedback.

New Contributor

@scottdodds Thanks for the links. I will submit something.