Launched: Box Tools v4 Early Access

Community Manager

As previously communicated in a service announcement sent on January 17, 2018, a new version of Box Tools is coming! This new version requires system requirement changes to be made in order to have a seamless experience.  You can learn more about the new system requirements here.

In an effort to allow our customers to validate their system set up prior to the auto-update, we have made Box Tools v4 available for download through our Early Access Program (EAP).  To install and verify this build in your environment, please follow these steps:

1. Ensure that you have made the appropriate system requirements updates found here.
  2. Download & Install the proper Box Tools v4 here.

All new Box Tools users will default to downloading the new version.  Existing users with Box Tools v3 will be auto-updated in mid March.

The builds linked to above support .NET Framework 4.0 and above.  In Mid-March when we begin the auto update process, if your environment is running .NET Framework 4.5.2, you will be automatically updated to a compatible Box Tools version.  The .NET Framework 4.5.2 compatible versions are available for download here.

Still have questions?  Feel free to reach out to our User Services Team.

Comments
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Initial testing with Windows has gone well but we have some concerns with OS X... Please see comments from my Mac Engineer (we have just under a 1000 Macs used by almost 10,000 users to give some sense of the scale and concern):

-------

I have been looking into this and it looks like this is not going to work very well for us (or any enterprise environment).

It looks like Apple have stopped you from being to add extensions automatically to new or existing user accounts in Safari. They are using the SIP thing that they introduced in El Capitan (10.11) to stop it. I’m trying to find official documentation to back that up but the best I’ve found is this Jamf discussion that references an Apple KB: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/23001/script-to-enable-extension-in-safari-10-x

This means that although we could distribute the actual box edit application, it will never work for Safari. Even if we could distribute the extension, a user still has to manually activate it, probably for the same “security” reasons. This means that Safari will always be limited to only open online files, no option to open with a local application.

Surprisingly/annoyingly/luckily it looks like Chrome works fine, and providing the Box app is running in the background, you can open and edit files with local applications as well as online editing.

--------

Occasional Contributor
Hello DBolton, I don't think it's as dire as you paint it. If you've pre-installed Box Tools for the user, the extension is at least put in the correct place. All the user has to do is click it on. The first time the user opens a file and chooses the Open on Desktop option, a dialog box will pop us, saying that either you don't have Box Tools installed or you must enable it. If you click enable it, you get an additional dialog with illustrated instructions on how to enable it. Once you've clicked the checkbox, you don't have to do that ever again. You can't claim that Safari is only limited to online files. Yes, it would be nice if the web dialog could distinguish a plugin that is disabled from one that isn't installed, but I think it's a good thing that web pages can't find out that much about your machine. I assume Box wouldn't have used an extension if there was any way around it. I can't figure out your statement "providing the Box app is running in the background, you can open and edit files with local applications as well as online editing". What Box app? Running in the background? -Chuck Boeheim, Cornell
Box Certified Professional

@DBolton,

This means that Safari will always be limited to only open online files, no option to open with a local application.

I understand that the preference is to automate this for all users, and I share that desire, but to say Safari will "always be limited" is incorrect. Until there is an automated way to enable the extension you could just point your Mac Safari users to the documentation to manually enable it. I was able to do it pretty quickly. How hard could it be?

Bob

Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

Our users are effectively hot desk users so get a fresh profile each time they log into a Mac. So they will have to do this each time - The process needs to be seamless and not inconvenience the user. A key part of our organisations success is the experience we give users.

We're going from a seamless experience to a non-seamless experience. Or to put it another way, a good experience to a poor/not so good experience.

Box should be striving for enterprise grade products - not consumer grade.

Automation is king unless you collect rubbish: https://youtu.be/iaN5r44o2zo?t=9