Deprecation: Support for BlackBerry10 and BlackBerry Playbook

Community Manager

Beginning November 12, 2018, Box mobile apps will no longer be supported on BlackBerry10 and BlackBerry Playbook.

• Beginning on this date users will no longer be able to log into or use their Box mobile app on BlackBerry10 or BlackBerry Playbook.
  • Following the EOL date users will still be able to access Box through web browsers on their BlackBerry10 and BB Playbook devices.

Comments
New Contributor

What makes you refuse to support the mobile application for BlackBerry10? BlackBerry10 users just need to keep the application running without any updates. This does not require large investments. Why the old version of the application continues to work for Apple Iphone 4s, and for the BlackBerry10 you want to cancel support?

First-time Contributor

Will the Android version work on BB10 devices?

New Contributor

Thank you Box team for the update!

New Contributor

Die Mail ist eine Unverschämtheit. Ein Update wird versprochen und eine Abkündigung wird ausgesprochen. Natürlich werde ich zwischen Pest oder Cholera wählen müssen, aber box.com muss ich nicht weiter verwenden.

(the cancellation of the BlackBerry App is an unfriendly act, named as an software update. I must choose between two uncomfortable deceases - Android or IOS - box.com is for both not necessary. No customer engagement, no locality.)

First-time Contributor

What a shame.

I shifted to Box from Dropbox only because the latter had stopped working about a year ago.

We bb users are like the last Mohicans.

Occasional Contributor
I agree with magmet, why discontinue support if you leave it like it is without any updates. I don't need the app to work any differently that it does at present, I input the information from my phone, then when I access the app on my computer it has been updated and vice versa. That's all I need. I will not switch to a phone with a different OS until I absolutely have to as BB10 is more secure, easier to use, and can be customized far more than any other mobile OS.
zwd
First-time Contributor

congratulations on losing more customers!

First-time Contributor

Dead end street...

I receive this email: "We recommend that you perform this update immediately as we will begin blocking unsupported and out-of-date applications on November 12, 2018."

So, where is the update? where can I find it? is not available in the Blackberry World.

Community Manager

Hi @fdisk,

Unfortunately there is no application update in this case. I believe the message you received was a broader notification about Box app versions that will no longer be supported due to  their reliance on the Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.0 encryption protocol.

There is no update planned for Box mobile apps on BlackBerry10 and BlackBerry Playbook, and those devices will no longer be supported beginning November 12, 2018.

Occasional Contributor
Why isn't the kudos button working properly on my computer? I click on it numerous times and it doesn't want to add a kudo.
Community Manager

@autotech1 you can pm with the details about which post(s) you've been trying to kudo, and I can help you out with that.

-Scott

First-time Contributor

so when we want to "share" with Box, we'll now have to do it, how? This is really frustrating. There are those of us that are not addicted to the newest, shiniest phones and have perfectly functioning BB10's. The only thing making them obsolete is software development.

Occasional Contributor

@scottdodds  it's funny, I can give kudos from my BlackBerry Z30 with no problems, but it's a crap shoot doing it from my Windows computer!

Occasional Contributor

Since I only use Box between my computer and my Z30, it looks like I'm not going to be using it at all after November. 

First-time Contributor

Thanks for the update and for doing more than you have to just so you can get rid of the few BB10 holdouts. I guess I'll be moving on to the next supported service, like Box was, until I'm out of options. 

First-time Contributor

Sencillamente, no voy a cambiar de dispositivo por que ustedes no vayan a actualizar la aplicación. Les agradezco que me hayan avisado con tiempo, ya que de esta manera no contrataré una cuenta para mi empresa. Blackberry 10 no se cuelga, Blackberry 10 es productividad pura, contiene aplicaciones de más calidad para lo que trabajamos con dispositivo móvil, es rápido y sus comunicaciones entre dispositivos son de mayor calidad. Lo siento pero abandono Box en los próximos días. Un saludo

New Contributor
Back to Microsoft's OneDrive. That's too bad, would the update to the BB10 app really hard, expensive or time consuming to do?
New Contributor

Thank you for the update ! 

First-time Contributor

Dear box status, can u please upgrade the application for sometime in BlackBerry 10, am just the community. Thank u

First-time Contributor

As many others I'm quite frustrated about the end of BlackBerry 10 support. It's just a darn shame! 

Occasional Contributor

I've switched over to Microsoft OneDrive on my computer and downloaded Connect to OneDrive from BlackBerry World for my phone. The phone app looks and works exactly like Box does, so there should be no learning curve. Sorry Box and scottdodds, but I can't see continuing to use Box on my computer when I can no longer use and sync it from my phone. 

New Contributor
This is a blessing in disguise. The Box application on a PC consumes more resources than it ever should. Just take a look for yourselves! Onedrive starts up pretty intense but mellows out at 20MB. Box is the trooper and utilizing 100MB of RAM and for what? What is Box doing that requires that kind of resource?!!!
First-time Contributor

Why are you changing this? It works perfectly well and you have lots of happy Blackberry users.

If you make this app unusable you will have lots of unhappy users.

Man Sad

New Contributor

Also switched over to Microsoft OneDrive on my computer and downloaded Connect to OneDrive from BlackBerry World for my phone. The phone app looks and works exactly like Box does, so there should be no learning curve.

Box Team... you will lose lots of users... just think why should BB users return to you after switching to android or ios... bye! 

New Contributor

Hi, we have begun to move content from box.com to other fileshares. In addition, I've bought the bb key2. It's based on Android and I have choose pest (instead of Cholera). Please beware: No webdav support from Box.com after January, 2019. No Box.com in my company, after December 2018.

New Contributor

Hiz, how to update the Box app????? Where is the link tô download the Last version??? 

Tksz

@scottdodds wrote:

Beginning November 12, 2018, Box mobile apps will no longer be supported on BlackBerry10 and BlackBerry Playbook.

• Beginning on this date users will no longer be able to log into or use their Box mobile app on BlackBerry10 or BlackBerry Playbook.
  • Following the EOL date users will still be able to access Box through web browsers on their BlackBerry10 and BB Playbook devices.

First-time Contributor

Seems like ALL Applications are being "stopped" for BB10 Users or being stated as EOL...Such a shame

It started with WhatsApp but I found a work-around by using an Android version version BB10, I propose that Developers turn to this as an alternative, or keep the BB10 access viable...

I as a BB10 User would rather delete the App or find another app . IS supported, rather than change to another device

First-time Contributor

Time to drop Box. Still a few good clouds working on BlackBerry 10. Anyway luck of respect to Box customers is discouraging to continue use their services

New Contributor

Hello,as I understand there is no link nor how to update the Box app, please if anyone knows how to update the Box app, please inform. Thanks 

New Contributor
Hi,

move to onedrive - app with same functionality.
Occasional Contributor

Wellington1, there is no app update. The link brings you to this page announcing the end of support for Box on BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook devices. I would suggest doing what others have done and switching to a different file sharing app. I moved all of mine to Microsoft OneDrive, it works exactly the same as Box on both my Z30 and my computer. 

New Contributor
hello, thanks for the tips and suggestions. I already downloaded One Drive
and did the migration. the email they sent it seemed to me that there was
an update to do. I already use a KeyOne but I keep Passport for various
jobs and leisure. greetings!
First-time Contributor

Hello. It's just sad to know this because the integration and the fluidity of Box in BlackBerry 10 are superior that in Android and iOS.  Thanks to the people who suggested to migrate to OneDrive.  I was considering buying an account on Box but now I will continue to pay for Office 365 and have 1TB on the cloud that works fine with my BlackBerry Z30.  I really don't want to start to use an insecure operating system like Android or a very closed one like iOS (that do not let the user do simple stuff like sharing files with Bluetooth between devices). 

[Comment removed due to violation of Terms of Service]

First-time Contributor

BlackBerry OS is the father of BOX. BOX started learning with BB OS. Don't leave hand of your father when you are adult and married.

BlackBerry already leave BlackBerry OS customers and now BOX.

Congratulations, all the best.

First-time Contributor
I hope BOX Team understand that no one with BB will buy their service now.
First-time Contributor

I use box a lot at university. And still u singing it every day.

It works perfectly with my BlackBerry z30.

Not sure what I will do without it. Been using it since 2011. 

The Web interface won't do what I need it to do, especially since the web browser likes to crash on low memory. It's not really a solution when you have a lot of files.

I share a lot of my lab work with other students, and use my z30 as a pdf reader for studying the course material I have on box.

Occasional Contributor
@sheldows, I switched to Microsoft OneDrive a few weeks ago and it's worked out great. For how I use it, it works exactly the same on my Z30 and my computer as Box did.
First-time Contributor

und was soll das? Dann gibt es eben keine Box mehr auf meinem Blackberry. 

Da werden wochenlang Ankündigungen verschickt, wozu? 

First-time Contributor
Can not understand how you make this decision. of course, that is your right.
First-time Contributor

Another Company that drops BB10 Apps - well you also drop a customer.

New Contributor
What a coward slap in the face of the whole Blackberry Community. You could have just deleted all BB accounts...no need to mask your meanness with the so called "update". Luckily the Blackberry Community is big enough to support developing of it's native products and will easily go without any "boxes". Keep rolling over for iOSers. By the way...congrats! Mutually sold all our BOX shares with colleagues.
New Contributor

Granted BB needs an OS upgrade, but considering its stubborn BB fan base, wouldnt' it just be good marketing and good sense to (inexpensively) keep support for an app that's already been perfected and everyone loves for its simplicity?  Or is Box shutting down?  This sort of senseless discard seems a bit like such may be the case.  Such a move certainly doesnt help confidence in Box's future.

Occasional Contributor

Not only is the fact that Box sent out an email making you think there is an update for their app to enable you to continue to use it on you BlackBerry a slap in the face when you read that they're actually discontinuing support for BB10 & Playbook devices, but they keep sending emails reminding you that time is running out to update. I have replied to every email they sent with my thoughts on their decision to discontinue support as well as my decision to move to another file share service, and I also stated that I will not switch to an inferior OS just to keep using an app. I's funny, I haven't received a single reply from the Box team yet, and I haven't received any automated responses telling me my email was sent to an address that wasn't monitored. I know it was delivered because I also haven't received a Daemon notice informing me that my email could not be delivered. It's bad enough that you're discontinuing support for BlackBerry devices, but stop sending us emails stating that time is running out to update the app when there is no update.

New Contributor

[Removed comment for violation of terms of services]

Let's be honest - if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm. Everybody who is in favor of keeping BB alive - make a donation. There are estimately 800k BB10 sold in 2016, not to mention previous years. $1 donation from at least  10% users will keep the community alive with native apps being developed. We will post on crackberry about the fund soon.

New Contributor

Hey, great idea! How about forming a Cr-ackberry Club complete w clubhouse dues. I vote Crackberry be the organizer and treasurer. Anyone want to second that?

New Contributor

Ok, Crackberry, you're elected! Now you just need to set up how we join up and pay dues. I pay $1 per month to have the BB Launcher and apps on my spare Droid device, so the payment mechanism is out there. I'll wait.

New Contributor

They do it. Smiley Sad
I use PlayCloud now. This is better than nothing.
I despise the developers of the Box.