Coming Soon: iOS 4.2.0

Box Employee

With this new updated, we are planning to provide the following features to Box iOS users

・Access your files in the new Apple Files app on iOS 11
・Collaborators can will be added to individual files
・Additional bug fixes and stability improvements

Comments
Visitor

So I see Box as a location. But I can’t access my files. In the Files app, it says I need to authorize in Box. But I don’t see a place to do that. 

Box Certified Professional

@Ramsed,

When you have Files open go to Browse and then at the top there will be a back-arrow to Locations. You can add Box there. Definitely not the most intuitive UI (much like a number of the changes in iOS 11.)

Bob

Occasional Visitor
I have the same problem; when I select Box in the Files app it says I need to open Box to authorize access. I follow the link to launch Box and authenticate, but there is no option to authorize and Files continues to display the same message. For what it’s worth, I’m an enterprise user authenticating via SSO.

@DougMa,

I'm also SSO. I used it this morning and it worked out. You are obviously on iOS 11, but do you have version 4.2.0 of the Box app?

Bob

Occasional Visitor
Yes, both my iPad and iPhone are ios11 and updated to 4.2.0 yesterday. I see exactly the same on both. The specific message shown in Files is:

“Authentication Required

To view the items in this folder, you need to authenticate in the Box app.

Open Box”

I click “Open Box” and log-in, but when I return to files the message is unchanged. I’ve force restarted Files and even removed and reinstalled Box without luck.

You shouldn't have to return to Files manually. It will take you back there after it finishes authorization.

Bob

Regular Visitor

I have the exact same issue.  It seems using Box with SSO does not seem to function correctly with the iOS11 files app.

Await an official response. Thanks. 

Visitor
For what’s it’s worth, I don’t have SSO and it’s just a personal account. It just appears that no “authorization” occurs.
Visitor
I had to delete Box and reinstall and then it worked.
New Contributor

Box app is crashing on me too.  When I try to save files for offline, it crashes and the app opens like it's my first time again (i.e. have to authorise the device)

Visitor
So I figured out the issue. The Files app doesn’t work with Box if you have a passcode set.
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for that @Ramsed.  Our administrator forces the use of passcode in the app, so I can't test disabling it.  Interesting that passcode doesn't block authorisation of other apps, like Outlook.

Also, noticed with the new iOS 11 Files App, some poor user experience default launch experiences. Anyone else confirm that they're seeing the same thing? Best submitted as an issue to Box, or one to Apple?

• With Google Drive Installed:
    • PPT, Word, Excel all try to save in Google Drive, but don't seem to succeed (gets stuck, but who knows where it really goes???)
    • Videos, Images and PDF open in appropriate apple previewer type screen
    • Why would they not launch the Box app previewer OR in the iOS Office apps if you have them installed? 
  • Without Google Drive Installed:
    • PPT tries to open in Keynote and save to iCloud (get error when user has iCloud disabled as we do in our enterprise environment)
    • Word, Excel, images, PDF, videos open in apple previewer screen with "Share" options vs. opening in Box app or iOS Office App
    • Is this an embedded version of the Box previewer? Since Videos work & play similarly, thinking it may be. Why not launch in app directly vs. having Share option to "Copy" to app? Or at least an "Open in Box" option vs. "Copy to Box" option in that preview screen.  

@Ramsed,

I have a passcode set and it worked fine for me.

Bob

Visitor

Not sure what to tell you. If I enable Passcode, I get the "Authentication Required" message in Files. The second I disable it, my files show up.

Please advise if in Box, there is something that needs to be done to "authenticate" with the Files app. Because when I click the "Open Box" link, I put in my passcode and then nothing happens.

I see the same problem with viewers.  Why is Box (via the Files App) trying to launch Google Drive for my PowerPoint.  Not sure if this is an Apple or a Box problem, but it renders the solution useless at this point.