Coming Soon: Mark for Offline in Box Drive

Box Employee
We're excited to announce the general availability of the Mark for Offline feature in Box Drive v2.0 coming October 31st!

We will be launching the ability to make files available for offline use soon. With this feature we enable your employees to stay connected to their work even when they have limited internet connectivity. Users simply mark the content they'd like to be synced to their device. That content will be available offline and Box will automatically keep all that content updated for users and their collaborators.

Check out this guide on Community for additional information on configuring the Mark for Offline feature.

We'll be providing more detailed resources on October 31st so stay tuned!
Comments
Occasional Contributor

I received by mail the information that: "NoteBox Drive v2.0 will be made available to users starting mid-October; ",

Yesss!

But I can't find it anywhere, at least for the MacOSX version (the Box Drive page just deliver the package to install the 1.19 version). So where can we download the Box Drive v2.0 ?

Occasional Contributor

Hi @bushra_rahman,

Will MFO automatically honour existing folders that are set to sync (as with the sync client)? If not why not? Smiley Wink

Occasional Contributor

Will there be an option to prevent a folder from being marked for offline use?  

Community Manager

Hi @DBolton,

There are known issues with having both Box Drive and Box Sync on the same computer, and we recommend against installing both on the same machine.

With that in mind, Box Drive does not anticipate that there will be any syncing folders on the computer. MFO will only apply to new folders selected within Box Drive.

Box Employee

@PascalV - The feature will not be enabled until October 31st, even if you update to Box Drive v2.0.  The actual release of v2.0 is occurring slowly over the next 2 weeks, so please stand by while we roll it out.  The download links will be updated after the release is complete.

@DBolton - We will not be marking content you have in Box Sync as content that is available offline in Box Drive.  The reason - we have found the majority of content in Box Sync is there just so users can work on their desktops and not so they can additionally work offline with it.  In Box Drive, all of your content is available on your desktop as a default and populated on demand while users are online.  For true offline needs, users will have to make that decision again.  It is a great chance to reset your persistent local footprint and ensure background syncing is done only for important content!

@CSUChico - In v2.0 users will be able to mark any folder they have download permission to as available offline.  In the future we are looking at allowing admins/users to restrict certain folders that they designate.

Occasional Contributor

Hacing to reselect which folders are available offline is unfortunate. Our deployment of Sync was specifically for offline use, so forcing our users to reselect that is a lot of extra work. Will we still be able to mark in the web interface which files are going to be offline, or is that only going to be in the local Drive client? I would want the ability to mark certain files or folders to be available on all of the user’s PC vs. those files that are offline only on certain computers. 

Box Employee

@Ladewig - Please keep in mind that we do not support users running Sync and Drive together.  The web interface of choosing content to sync is specific to Box Sync and not used by Box Drive, so users will not need to deselect their Sync settings in order to use Drive.  The reason we are not using those settings in Box Drive is to allow users to have different sets of offline content on different machines vs having the same offline content on any installation of Drive they log into.

Occasional Contributor
The word "deselect" was a typo which I corrected in the post. I meant to say "reselect".

I know users shouldn't have both Sync and Drive on the same PC. My issue is that there are certain folders we want to always have available offline on all machines - basically the known folders such as Desktop, Downloads, etc. - so our hope was that a user would not have to mark them offline everytime they move to a new PC or switch between PCs. Additionally we find that our users usually want the same files and folders available on all of their systems since those are the folders they're activey working with.

Obviously I'm happy to see Drive gaining MFO. It's just different than what I was expecting.
Box Certified Professional

I have a few questions related to the behavior and user experience.

1. What will happen when there are people working on a same file offline and save it, then later on back to online at different timing? Will their changes (except the one whose file is synced first) be saved as copies of original file?

2. Do users need to un-MFO manually or is there a certain period where offline files can be set to be un-MFO? And will there be a way to see all contents being marked for offline, so users can un-MFO effectively, instead of figuring out which folders they have marked for offline previously?

3. Can we disable MFO to be used by external collaborators? Although they have download permission we want to prevent our contents being saved locally on their computers which are not under our control.

Also, we are not sure whether external collaborators have deep understanding of Box Drive so we also want to prevent that when offline files are removed from their computers, our contents in Box are also get deleted.

4. Will MFO be identified in the access stats as downloaded or previewed?

First-time Contributor

What about Box Notes? Will be also available offline ?

Occasional Contributor

Will there be any admin reports showing all MFO folders?

If we initially setup a MFO whitelist of users, will those users be at all affected (i.e. have to re-mark folders for MFO) when we switch to MFO enterprise wide?  

New Contributor

We have enabled MFO in the Settings for all managed users. I have installed Box Drive v2.0.70. on my MacBook.

How can I mark files to be available offine? I don't see the option in the context menu in Finder.

Occasional Contributor

@smashThey aren't enabling it in the client until October 31 per the original post.

New Contributor

@Ladewig Thanks for pointing that out. So, today is the day! But I still cannot find any documentation on MfO... 

@smash, there's a Mark for Offline Guide out there, but it was published for beta sites.  I'm not sure it's been made public yet; maybe @jerryfranklin can help.

The experience is super-simple:

Right-click on a folder (ctrl-click on Mac).  Choose "Make available offline" from the context menu.  A similar operation will discontinue mark-for-offline for that folder.

mfo.png

I'm not yet seeing this option available yet, and I'm running 2.0.70.  Is this being gradually pushed out to users throughout the day?

Occasional Contributor

I'm not seeing it either, and I'm running the same version.  We enabled for selected users, but my account is on the list.

First-time Contributor

When we enabled it for our users, they had to log out of Box Drive and then login in before seeing the option to mark offline.

Box Employee

We are in the process of deploying the feature and the documentation!  Please stand by, you should be hearing more in the next hour or 2 Smiley Happy.

Occasional Contributor
Tried that, but I'm still not seeing the option to MFO.
Box Employee

I should have waited 1 minute!  Our documentation is live: End User Guide.

Occasional Contributor

I had the same experience as @msulja. I had to actually logoff the Drive client and then log back on again. Simply logging off and on or restarting wasn't sufficient. is this by design? Or do we have to notify our users to logoff/logon before this will be available?

New Contributor

Is setting the Making Available Offline only for folders not files?  When I right click individual file, I do not see "Making Available Offline" option.

Community Manager

@Herman2, MFO is for folders only not files. 

Occasional Contributor
Folders only? Smiley Sad You should probably change the title of your online docs then from "Marking Files for Offline" to "Marking Folders for Offline". I'd also make that more prominent that it is currently because I completely missed than when I scanned through the page (even though I see it now).

Are there plans to add the ability to mark individual files to be kept offline?

In the guide it says:

==

If either or both of you are working offline, you won’t see each other’s revisions until you’ve reconnected and Box Drive syncs all of the changes.  However, in this case the possibility exists for two collaborators to save conflicting changes on the same file.==

Does it mean that if the changes are not conflicted let’s say user A changed cell A1 on a spreadsheet and user B changed cell B1, the uploads will be merged (instead of saved as copy)?

I could not find in the documentation the answer to my questions two weeks ago in this thread.

Is there a plan to post information about that?

Occasional Contributor

Is there any indication (icon or ??) that a folder is marked for offline use when viewing Box content in the browser?     ( Box Synced folders had a check-mark icon.)

Occasional Contributor

Can you please confirm that the Box Drive installer posted on the downloads website is v2.0.70?  We are going to package it for mass deployment and wanted to make sure we are packaging the version that supports MFO.  Thanks!

Community Manager

Hi @LiangJR,

Yes you can download the latest version on our website here: https://www.box.com/resources/downloads/drive