Coming Soon: Box Drive v1.10

Community Manager

Note: These features were originally included in v1.9, but due to an issue found during its deployment, the release was cancelled.  v1.10 contains all of the announced features along with a resolution to the issue in v1.9.

In Box Drive v1.10, a new clean logout feature will be released on all platforms. When users log out, their Box Drive session will end and all of their Box data will be cleared from the machine. To prevent the loss of work, Box Drive will notify users if anything is out of sync with Box prior to completing the logout, as shown below:

box-image.png

Additionally, we have added a system dialog that will prompt new users with instructions on how to enable legacy filter drivers. This is only applicable to fresh installs of Drive on the latest Windows 10 version, where Microsoft has begun blocking these drivers by default. Current Drive users who upgrade to the latest Windows version will not be affected, and do not need to follow these steps. More details can be found here.

Comments
Box Certified Professional

Is there plans to move Box Drive away from a legacy driver? We are starting to utilized Box drive but this is a major hurdle to our company moving to Box Drive. 

Occasional Contributor

"To prevent the loss of work, Box Drive will notify users if anything is out of sync with Box prior to completing the logout" > will there be a similar feature to block the OS X and Windows session logout process until files have completed syncing with Box? - rather than just the box client? or does this feature include that situation?

Thanks.

Box Employee
@joshuasagraves - We are moving away, though I don't have a timeline that I can share. @DBolton - We do not handle logging out of the OS X or Windows session. In this case, Drive will pick up syncing again once the user logs back in.
Occasional Contributor

A couple of questions:

The new "Logout"  option will delete all the cache files? (Just for clarification)

Will the "Exit" or "Quit" option continue to leave the cache files intact?

Shutdown and restart of the computer --- will anything change (i.e will cache files remain)?

Thanks.

Box Employee
@CSUChico - Yes, logging out will delete all cached files. The Exit/Quit options and machine shutdown will remain as is - no cached files, logs etc will be deleted and restarting Drive will continue syncing anything that had not completed.
Occasional Contributor

"Drive will pick up syncing again once the user logs back in." - unless you are using mandatory profiles (or similar) e.g. in a hot desk environment, education (e.g. class room) or non-persistant VDI, etc. - it seems very limited to 1:1 type device use cases (e.g. user who is allocated a device that isn't shared). Could do with some true "enterprise ready" capability IMHO.

WS1
Occasional Contributor

After updating to 1.9 I get errors while saving or inserting images in Word and Powerpoint forcing a close...!

Box Certified Professional
Not good. You should submit a support ticket for this.

Bob

Occasional Contributor

Like WS1, I'm getting a lot of App crashes when trying to save or open documents from 1.9.36 - it's unusable as is.

Box Employee
@DBolton - This will be addressed in the next release which is being deployed now. Apologies for the poor experience here!
Occasional Contributor

@kywil0327 > thanks Smiley Wink

First-time Contributor

Is this release (1.10.71) for W and X systems?