User deleted file from shared folder. How do I recover it without logging in as the user?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

User deleted file from shared folder. How do I recover it without logging in as the user?

I need to be able to recover this discreetly. Thanks!

5 REPLIES
Box Certified Professional

Re: User deleted file from shared folder. How do I recover it without logging in as the user?

@etsolsupport

Files can be recovered from Trash by both the deleting account and the owner account, so the account owner can recover the file. Now, if the person who deleted the file is the folder owner, you're out of luck.

MaryBeth

New Contributor

Re: User deleted file from shared folder. How do I recover it without logging in as the user?

@maryb, is there a way to know when the file was deleted from the shared folder, if you are the user? Yesterday, I noticed one shared folder was deleted from my Box and I have no idea who the owner was, nor when that happened.

Box Certified Professional

@TLIMA,

Your Box admin should be able to help you. Bear in mind that if this was a folder you were invited to, meaning you were not the owner, it could just be that the account that owned the folder was deactivated. That would give the impression that the folder was deleted. So if the file owner left your organization and they deactivated his/her account, any collaborative folder owned by that account would disappear from collaborators.

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
2709 E. Tenth Street Bloomington, IN 47408
Established Member

We had a user delete a shared folder and we logged in and restored the folder. However, not all the files within that folder were restored. 

Can Box locate those folders from their back up?

Community Manager

Hi @WH-Support,

Sorry for the delayed response, but glad you submitted at ticket and got your content recovered by our Support team!