Unable to "edit with Excel"

SOLVED
Go to solution
New Contributor

Unable to "edit with Excel"

On Friday past I noticed a change, I can't no longer "Edit with Excel" on a file that I am "co-owner".

I can dowload, lock it and when I try to save it I'm prompted to rename it.

can you please help?

10 REPLIES
Box Employee

Re: Unable to "edit with Excel"

Hey there @dpalmer! Let me try to help with this one -- when you say you're choosing 'Edit with Excel' are you referring to selecting the 'Open with Excel' button (like the image below)? Is that button greyed out? What happens when you select Open with Excel -> Microsoft Excel (or Excel Online)?

Open with Excel Button

Link to image: https://cloud.box.com/s/y7pkfol1h2l3wepla9d24bpy7d52uk45

-Brad
Box Consulting - Implementation Consultant
New Contributor

Hi Brad,

It's not an option any more from the "More options" button on the right. It was there on Thursday last week and on Friday, gone.

Is this a:

1. permissions? - I'm co-owner

2. Global change in Box?

3. A change my company has adopted system wide and didn't tell anyone?

4. A change to all excel files?

thx

Box Employee

@dpalmer -- Does your 'more options' menu look like this one then for that file? 

No Edit Option

If you're listed as a Co-Owner in the folder and you've verified that the file isn't currently locked by another user (it would have the lock icon to the left of the file's icon when looking at the folder), the reason you don't see the 'Edit' option at the top of the More Options menu anymore might be due to your company's Box admins disabling the Box Edit / Office Online features for your company's Box environment. I'd recommend checking with your Box admin team (IT) to see if that's the case. Here's a quick article you can provide them for more information on what you're referring to. 

-Brad
New Contributor

HI Brad, yes that is exactly what I see and the file is not locked by anyone else.

Thanks I'll check with my company Box Admin...

this is exactly my problem right now!

New Contributor

I am actually having the same issue with some of my users starting today.  Some of them no longer have Open in Microsoft Excel when they click the Open in icon in Box.  I have read all of Brad's suggestions.  The document is not locked and these users are only Viewers. I have ALLOW on all of the file security settings.  Any idea what changed?

Please help.

Amy Nichols

Box Employee

@anicholspath -- You mentioned these users are Viewers: if users are Viewers in a folder, they will not have the 'open with' option as the Viewer permission does not give edit rights to files in the folder. If they need to edit (aka use the 'open with'), you'll need to change their access to either Viewer Uploaders or Editors. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 10.03.20 AM.png

-Brad
New Contributor

Brad,
When did this change?  Since we have started using Box a year ago we have always had all of our users with Viewer rights to all the documents and the workflow has been working until our co-admin made this change.  

I don't want them to be able to 'over write' the master documents in the folders.  Smiley Sad

aka
New Contributor

I am unable to Edit Excel in Box anymore.  It was there yesterday. I only now see the Excel Online option. I am the Admin and only user of box for my business account. I have checked all of my admin console settings.  Please help me get back my ability to work in Excel. I may have changed a setting yesterday that change this but I checked all again. 

Tags (2)
Highlighted
aka
New Contributor

Figured this out.  Had to change apps settings in box, then remove Box Edit, AND REBOOT;  then go back in, add Box Edit and all is good.