Renaming pdf's

Occasional Contributor

Renaming pdf's

With the new update of Box, how do I view my file on the left, and at the same time rename the file on the right hand side as was possible before update.  This also enabled me to scroll down on the viewed file for details needed for renaming the file as the file name's have details that are rather long. 

8 REPLIES
Box Certified Professional

Re: Renaming pdf's

@anjacapelobster,

Are you talking about when you are in the folder/file list view or when you are previewing an individual file? When you mouse over the name of a file in list view you are given a pencil icon. When you click that, you can rename the file. If you are in Preview you can get to rename from the dropdown list that is the file's name in the breadcrumb above.

Does that help? If not, let me know where I've misunderstood.

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
2709 E. Tenth Street Bloomington, IN 47408
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, I saw that is the only way now.  Problem is that before I could preview the individual file, and rename it on the right hand side of the screen.....whilst at the same time still being able to scroll down on the previewed document.  With the update, this is no longer possible ?  I can preview but there and scroll down but not rename whilst scrolling on the previewed document.  This is necessary for me as the individual file needs to be renamed with a lot of details to be found on the individual document.  I had no problem with this until the update of Box was done.  How do I get around this.......with the pencil renaming there is no way to scroll through the document once you start renaming.......

Occasional Contributor

Basically, I would save the document pdf to box, then open the pdf on box which gives you a preview on the left of the screen and on the right of the screen I where there is Activity I now see a tab next to it called Details............I think Details was called something else ?  Properties or something ?  I would go into that tab and rename the file there.........as I am doing that, I could scroll down the document on the left to see what else I needed to include in the renaming of the document.  Now with "Details" there, it cannot rename the file as I did before.

@anjacapelobster,

Just so I understand what you are saying, you used to be able to be scrolling and renaming at the same time? I can certainly scroll through a PDF in Preview and choose to rename at any point in the document, but I can't scroll and rename at the same time. I just want to confirm the workflow.

Bob

Indiana University
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I would for example, be in outlook, open the email and save the attachment to box.

Outlook asks if you want to open it in box, and I click yes.......it goes over to box where I see the document which takes up the first 2/3 of the screen width.  The last 1/3 of the screen on the right has Activity / Details ......................it was the Details tab that I would click on (think it was called something else before the update - maybe properties) ......and in that box I would be able to type the file name.  The file names I use are very long, with a lot of different numbers and many different names.....so therefore I need to scroll down on the previewed document which allows me to see all the information necessary and then I can continue to edit the name of the file on the right under what is now called Details.  "Details" does not work for file saving......this tab has been changed by BOX.  It leaves me with no choice but to have hard copies of everything I need to rename...........so I can get the information from there, because with the new update it is impossible to view /scroll a document and rename at the same time..............cant I go back to a previous version ? This is soooooo time consuming now :-(

@anjacapelobster,

Understood. Have you tried having the document open in one browser tab and the rename dialog open in another? I realize it's not the same as before, but it will at least allow you to do your work. I recommend submitting a feature request to allow the document to be renamed in the Details tab. There is no going back to the old UI.

Bob

Indiana University
Occasional Contributor

Brilliant idea.  Thank you. I have opened up a duplicate tab and moved it to another computer screen.  That works.  Appreciate the help :-)

Highlighted

Thanks @BobFlynn-IU for that great post!

@anjacapelobster, did this solve your question? If so, give 'em props and tell the community by clicking the Accept Solution button beneath @BobFlynn-IU's post!

Thanks for your time in the community and appreciate both!