Multiple meta-data values in one document

SOLVED
Go to solution
Occasional Contributor

Multiple meta-data values in one document

I have a library of documents, and I want to create a metadata attribute of "Product", with a list of products as values.

However, some of those documents will need to be assigned to multiple products; but once I've selected one value for "Product", the Product option is gone and I cannot select more.

I really don't want to get into creating values like a, b, c, a&b, a&c, b&c and so on; I would also rather avoid having attributes "Product 1", "Product 2" & "Product 3", each with the same list of values.

Is there a way to do this?

Ideally I'd want to select "Product", then select all the products that apply (check-boxes maybe?)

4 REPLIES
Box Employee

Re: Multiple meta-data values in one document

Hi @OVGav74

Thanks for posting your question in the Box Community!

Currently, this is not a feature of metadata in Box. I've taken the liberty of adding this information to the product feedback request that has already been created for this functionality so that we have a record of the demand for this feature. The Engineering team is constantly reevaluating the product and roadmap for future features, so keep an eye on the Product Release Notes blog here on Box Community for this feature to come up in a later release!

Thanks for using Box, and have a great day!

Highlighted
Box Employee

Hi again @OVGav74

I wanted to provide an update to you regarding your request for multiselect options in metadata. This feature will be made available to the API at the end of March, according to this update to the Box API Changelog: Breaking Change to the Metadata API Endpoints.

Unfortunately there is still no word on this being made available through the webapp UI, but I wanted to let you know that there is progress being made toward the functionality.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Braden.

I'm not sure what the API info means to a non-techie like me, but I'm sure I can find someone to explain it to me.

Good to see progress though.

Visitor

I now have this function and can set up the drop-down option for multiselect. However, when I go to apply the metadata to the template, it does not populate the drop-down selection item with the information to select. It's blank. Any insight about how to fix this would be great.