Inviting Collaborators with Invite Email Or Get Link Invite

Inviting Collaborators with Invite Email Or Get Link Invite

Any expereince with difference between these two?  I want to send email from our own system explaining why we are moving to box and I want to include link in that message instead of sending separate email from Box with invite.  All of my users will be previewers only and will be accessing Folder over time. DOes the Get Invite Link somehow limit their ongoing access?

7 REPLIES
Box Employee

Re: Inviting Collaborators with Invite Email Or Get Link Invite

Hi @cqsoffin.

The only difference between the two is how a user is invited. The invite link is definitely geared towards use cases like the one you outlined in your original post. However this link will allow any user who may receive it to have their Box account added as a collaborator into the folder compared to the invitation email, which will only allow accounts using the emails added in to become a collaborator.

If you need a quick way to mass add users into a folder, the invite link can definitely be of use here. You can also disable the invite link after the initial email.

Access and functionatliy is determined by their collaborator access level and if they are a managed user of your organization's account or if they are using a free Box account.

Hope this helps.

Regular Visitor

My "Get Invite Link" went away. What happened to it?

New Contributor

I'm wondering the same thing. We use that feature all the time and now it's gone. How can we get it back?

Box Employee

@LindseyJ@thahn, The "Get invite" link now lives under the folder settings option. If you navigate to the folder you are looking to share, click the 3 dots button, choose "Folder Settings". On that page you will see a section called "Invitation Link". The link that is displayed there is the link I think you're looking for! 

New Contributor

@Vanessa  Where has the invitation link section gone?  I only see an 'invitation restrictions' section in the folder options.  I have tried to check and save the "Allow anyone who can access this folder from a shared link to join as a collaborator", however when I go back into the settings it is unset.  I need a way to allow a large number of people to have access as editor to this folder's contents without having to add them individually.   Thanks!

Community Manager

Hi @rmarra,

This feature for invite links has been deprecated: https://community.box.com/t5/Box-Product-News/Deprecation-Folder-Invitation-Links/ba-p/31601

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you for this link:

https://community.box.com/t5/Box-Product-News/Deprecation-Folder-Invitation-Links/ba-p/31601

This is not a solution, however.

My problem is with the shared links functionality which replaces this
deprecated function.

I check the box next to "Allow anyone who can access this folder from a
shared link to join as a collaborator" and then click Save.
When I go back into the folder settings, the checkbox is no longer
checked.

I am unable to activate this option due to the above. I am the folder
owner.

Thanks for your help.