How to use an existing Box Sync folder after reinstalling Box Sync

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

How to use an existing Box Sync folder after reinstalling Box Sync

Hey, I’ve got a little problem.  I was using Box Sync and read an article here about Box Drive and thought I would give it a try. However, before installing BD it was suggested that I uninstall Box Sync, so I did. After using BD, I didn't like it as good as BS. It was just taking too long to navigate through the folders/files.  So, I uninstall BD and reinstalled BS. But now it's giving me a message to "Select another folder location".  And the current BS folder is already in use. So, my question is. Is there a way to use the BS folder that I had originally? I only used BD for 2 days so all of my files are already in the BS folder except a few that need syncing..

Thanks
Scott

3 REPLIES
Occasional Contributor

Re: How to use an existing Box Sync folder after reinstalling Box Sync

Well, this is what I'm doing.  

I moved the older sync folder to my desktop (all 38 gigs) and reinstall Box Sync.  So far it's still calculating time remaining, 8300+ files and counting.. This will take a long time to sync I believe. But it should do the job. 

While I appreciate the tip on what to do to "fix" this, I find this to be an immature feature of the platform. Both OneDrive and DropBox handle this without any challenges whatsoever (re-install the desktop client and re-sync to an existing folder). But Box makes you remove the old folder first so that it can completely rebuild the local folder structures. Silly, unintuitive, and very disappointing.

New Contributor

Have you tried using Box Sync on another profile on your machine? For instance I have two sign ons (domains) on my computer. One is my service account (it’s partitioned) and have Drive on regular work account.
The “different” location can be copied on to a network drive first too; the nature of Sync is so data consuming...it doesn’t virtualize and saves a lot of temp files.
Users online (3,116)