How to set a folder as "public" access within an org

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
New Contributor

How to set a folder as "public" access within an org

I'm trying to figure out how to create a shared folder where the contents are viewable by anyone that has access to our internal corporate instance. I've tried just about every combination I can think of, but in the end, I always have to explicitly add users as collaborators if I want them to see my content. This is HUGELY inconvenient in a large organization, causing you to spend more time managing access then it's worth. If there's no way to acheive this simple and basic functionality, I guess I'll dump Box as it's pretty useless with having this capability.

11 REPLIES
Box Certified Professional

Re: How to set a folder as "public" access within an org

@bdelima,

You actually have multiple options to do this. Say a little more about your need. Here are a couple of ways I could interpret your need. Which of this most closely fits?

1. By default you want this folder to show up in the Box account of all users in your organization with some level of access (say, Viewer). 
  2. You want to allow users to 'self-invite' to the folder with some level of access (again, maybe Viewer). This is essentially an opt-in version of #1.
  3. You want to allow users in your company to be able to click a link you can post anywhere (or email) and get access to the contents of the folder to view (and download if you opt to allow).
  4. You want to make the contents of a Box folder available on an internal (or public) web page your staff can visit.

All of these are possible. What's your pleasure? Or is it something else?

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
2709 E. Tenth Street Bloomington, IN 47408
New Contributor

@BobFlynn-IU,

Thank you for your response. From your list, I think option 2 would suit my needs well.

Regards,

Bob

@bdelima

Excellent. Here is how you accomplish that.

1. Create a shared link for the folder and set the access level to "People in your company".
  2. Go into the folder settings and check the box labeled "Allow anyone who can access this folder from a shared link to join as a collaborator". Once you've checked that you can choose in the drop-down whether you want them to have Editor or just Viewer access.

think that should do it. Give it a shot and see if that works for you. If not, post back and we can tweak.

Bob

Indiana University
New Contributor

How can I enable option 4. We'd like to place a link to one (and only one) branch of our folder tree (photos) on a webpage and restrict visitors to only that branch. Downloading is okay.

Hi @Buckingham,

Here's what you do:

1. Navigate to the photos folder you wish to make available.
  2. Create a shared link with the access level of 'people in your company'.
  3. Check the link settings. Make sure Allow Download is checked.
  4. Post the link to an intranet web page or email it out.

This will create a shared link for that folder and everything below it. It will require login and will be accessible only to those within your company. Users with access will be able to view and download anything under that top folder.

HTH,

Bob

Indiana University
New Contributor

Is there any way to eliminate the need to login? This would essentially for our public on a. Public webpage.

@Buckingham,

Is this a different use case? In your last post you talked about restricting it to certain users.

If you would like to put a folder of photos on a public web page I recommend you use a Box Embed Widget. It's a nice user experience and your staff just keep files up to date in Box.

Is that what you are looking for?

Bob

Indiana University
New Contributor

HI Bob, What is the instruction for option #3?

You want to allow users in your company to be able to click a link you can post anywhere (or email) and get access to the contents of the folder to view (and download if you opt to allow).

I have a folder within a folder holding files I want to share with an extended team. Team members change too frequently to easily manage adding collaborators, and I don't want them to have to work hard to access these team files. How to I manage access settings to the folder so they can view/download files. Don't really want them editing files or adding files. Thoughts?

Hi @Denise7,

A couple clarifying questions.

1. Do you just need people to read and download the files or do they need to also comment? 
  2. Are all users within your organization/company?

The easiest thing is to not invite them to collaborate, but just give them a shared link that will allow them to view and/or download.

If you really need to invite them in as collaborators, say you do want them to be able to comment on the files, can be managed with a Box Group. You can just invite the group at, say, Previewer level. You would just need to keep membership of the group up to date. Your Box admin can delegate control of group membership to someone or you can link, with some minimal coding, the Box Group to stay in sync with an external group source like Active Directory. Some identity providers, like Okta, can also manage that linkage.

Does that answer your question?

Bob

Indiana University
New Contributor

Ya, prefer not to have to try to keep up with changes in membership, who are all in organization. Issue seems to be if main folder doesn't have public access, the folder (and files) inside main folder are not accessible. Is that true?

@Denise7,

I'll hairsplit a little on terminology in the interests of accuracy. Folders don't have access levels. You can create a sharing link to a folder and set an access level on it. Your options for access on that link. You have "People with the link" (public access, but can be password protected), "People in your company" (it requires that the user to a) log into Box and b) be a part of your organization), and "People in the folder" (only those who already have access to the folder/files - typically used as a shortcut for collaborators). Oh, I said four, right? The forth is "remove link". ;-)

So, without full details of your use case it sounds like me that you'd want to identify the folder, the contents of which you need to make available to others in your organization, and make a shared link with "People in your company". You can set this link at any level. (Does not have to be a parent folder.) Then anyone in your org can get  to the folder and everything inside it. You can choose whether to allow them to download or not. 

HTH,

Bob

Indiana University