How to have my own ranking for folders shared with several teams?

SOLVED
Go to solution
New Contributor

How to have my own ranking for folders shared with several teams?

After several months and projects my Box home page has heritated of plenty of Box folders. Some are created by me, some other not.

Some folders names are not so significant for me, but when I rename this is for all participants.

I can easily rename and move what I have created, not for the others.

I'd like to have a solution to rename and rank my view as I can on Window (folder, subfolder) without inpacting the others participants.

Tks

5 REPLIES
Box Certified Professional

Re: How to have my own ranking for folders shared with several teams?

@AlainFR,

As you have discovered from your own testing, Box does not behave like a Windows file server. I would encourage you to not look for it to be so and rather seek to understand how Box works.

Think of your Box account as a combination of two things, a login and a container for data.

Your login gives you access to your container of data and folders in other users' containers that you have been given access to.

You can manipulate things in your container. You can create folders and invite others. You can create folders and keep the private. You can move those folders around. You can rename them. You can delete them. If you rename or delete folders that you have invited others to collaborate on, it will impact them. There are times when users will notice if you reorganize folders you've invited them to, but that is less common.

You have much less control over the folders you have been invited to. In fact, your level of control is completely dependent on the permission level at which you were invited. If you were invited at editor or co-owner you can rename or delete folders, and everyone, including the folder owner, will see that. You can move the contents of those folders somewhere else, but not the folder itself. Of course that will take that content away from the others in the folder, including the owner. Probably not something you want to do.

Now there are things you can do to organize your interaction with data owned by others that might get you part of the way to where you want to go. Box gives you the ability to mark any individual file or folder you have access to as a "Favorite". You can then set Favorites as your home page in Box. Regardless of whether you make it your home page, you can access it quickly via the web or mobile interfaces.

Sorry this isn't the complete control you are looking for, but given that it is not your content, it's probably the best you can achieve right now.

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
2709 E. Tenth Street Bloomington, IN 47408
Box Certified Professional

@AlainFR

In addition to Bob's great insight, I have a little trick that you may find helpful.

Create one root level (All Files) folder for everything you own. You could call it "Home" because in some ways it's similar to a standard network drive home directory. Then, use that folder to contain all of the folders you create. You can invite others to collaborate in these folders, and for them, they'll show up in their All Files.

This gives you one place to manage all of the content you own and keep it separate from content you're collaborating in. You can even move system-created files (like My Box Notes) into that folder, keeping everything together.

MaryBeth

New Contributor

Bob

You are right the solution is not developed to have such flexibility.

Favorites is one of the solutions I started to use to put significant names on folders inherited. I'll keep on this way.

Just an example of what happen when as a buyer I am involved in multiple projects and expecially for one of the subfolders.

After several years I have multiple folders named "contract", "Contract", "Agreement", "Proposal", etc...  ;-(

Thanks

New Contributor

MaryBeth

I agree with you. This solution let me able to clearly separate what I create vs what I inherit.

For the second, the solution proposed by Bob through Favorites can allow me to manage this area with more significant names.

Thanks

Highlighted

Thanks @BobFlynn-IU and @maryb for that great post!

@AlainFR, did this solve your question? If so, give 'em props and tell the community by clicking the Accept Solution button beneath @BobFlynn-IU's post!

Thanks for your time in the community and appreciate both!