Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
The blueprint for the future of work
Register today!
Attend BoxWorks
Desktop, meet cloud.
Box Drive is the easiest and fastest way to connect to the cloud — without changing the way you work.
View resources
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

How do you lock/unlock files or folders on the new layout

How do you lock/unlock files or folders on the new layout as the option in the drop down menu when you right click is no longer there?

Box Certified Professional

Re: How do you lock/unlock files or folders on the new layout

@Des2,

The menu is there, it often loads more slowly than the rest of the page. See https://community.box.com/t5/How-to-Guides-for-Managing/Editing-Files-with-Box-Edit/ta-p/19160#l... for instructions on locking.

HTH,

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
2709 E. Tenth Street Bloomington, IN 47408
New Contributor

Thanks, but I don't seem to be able to lock a folder only a file. Would seem easier if you have a large amount of files to lock, due to something like a release issue, being able to lock a folder would be a lot easier.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Des2
2 weeks ago

@Des2,

Box has never had that that ability, but I see the logic in it. If I needed to do something akin to a "lock" on a whole folder, I would just change the permission level of the collaborators, however briefly.

Bob

Indiana University
New Contributor

Thanks, I thought that might be the other option, but if you could lock a folder but still have the collaborators associated with it, saves having to re-establish those connections when the items were available for distribution.

@Des2,

You would not need to remove them, but just drop their permission level to one that doesn't allow edits. You can revert after the distribution.

Bob

Indiana University
New Contributor

Problem is this folder is at the bottom of the tree, so there are lots of people who can access it. So I guess there must be a way then of amended there access as a group, otherwise thats a lot of people I'd have to go through and change permissions for. Where as if you could just lock it then that would sort it in a couple of clicks.