Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
The blueprint for the future of work
Register today!
Attend BoxWorks
Desktop, meet cloud.
Box Drive is the easiest and fastest way to connect to the cloud — without changing the way you work.
View resources
New Contributor

Dragging a file from your computer to a folder

Maybe I am missing something and it is user error, but why do you have to actually open the folder you want to drag a file from your computer into??? The old Box you could drop the file onto the folder and it would upload into that folder. 

Thank you for any insight on this!!

Re: Dragging a file from your computer to a folder

Hi @kschmorr,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

This is actually expected behavior in the new user interface. In the older user interface, it was possible to drag and drop a file or folder into a specific folder/subfolder by hovering over it. Now with the new user experience, you have to click inside the folder/subfolder where you want to move the file before dragging your file or folder to it.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you for your response!

Can I ask why? I file a lot of files in box and that is just another extra step that we didn't use to have to do. Doesn't seem more efficient to me.

Also, is there anyway to make the titles of folders not just one long line? You can't read everything, on the older version it would create several lines instead of one long one.

Thank you!

I agree. This is very annoying to change after years of being able to drag and drop to folders. This adds quite a bit of extra work to our process now. 

Hi @Randy10 and @kschmorr,

The Box Community team shares selected conversations on the community back to other Box teams from time to time, including product feedback. However, if you'd like to provide direct feedback you can always submit a case to Box support.

Thanks for your help and time in the Community!