Disable option MS office online

New Contributor

Disable option MS office online

Dear community,

in our collectively used Box drive we have a few MS Office files with sensitive content, which I do not want to be stored on a server other than the Box server. However, when I open the preview of a document in the browser application there is an option to open the file either locally with MS Office or with "Microsoft Office online". This stores data on a Microsoft server, so I would like to prevent this by disabling this option - because other users of the cloud might forget about the instruction not to choose this option. Is disabling possible?

Kind regards,

Felix

3 REPLIES
Box Certified Professional

Re: Disable option MS office online

@fr_ebc,

Your Box Admin can disable this for your whole company. Unfortunately it can't be done for a specific file or folder. It's all or nothing. 

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
2709 E. Tenth Street Bloomington, IN 47408
New Contributor

Dear Bob,

thank you very much for your answer. Two questions arose:

1. Where does the Admin do that?

2. What exactly do you mean by "company"? I use folders that are shared between different companies and individuals, i.e. on what level can one disable the option?

Kind regards,

Felix

Box Certified Professional

@fr_ebc,

1. Where does the Admin do that?

> It is on the Apps tab of the "enterprise" settings. See https://community.box.com/t5/How-to-Guides-for-Admins/Admin-Console-Guide/ta-p/169#AppSettings

disableOfficeOnline.png

2. What exactly do you mean by "company"? I use folders that are shared between different companies and individuals, i.e. on what level can one disable the option?

> So here is the tricky part. By "company" I mean the organization that you are part of and that your Box account is in. There are personal Box accounts and there are business/enterprise Box accounts. If yours is a personal account then unfortunately you have no control over any of this. If your Box account is part of an organization your Box admin can turn off the Office Online for users in your organization, it has no effect on the collaborators you may have invited in from outside your organization. If they have Office Online enabled, they will be able to use it with those same documents.

Probably not the answer you wanted, but at this time most of Box controls are applied to users, not specific content.

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
2709 E. Tenth Street Bloomington, IN 47408