Can a box account be linked to a shared mailbox or does it have to be an individual user?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Can a box account be linked to a shared mailbox or does it have to be an individual user?

3 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Can a box account be linked to a shared mailbox or does it have to be an individual user?

@arronborsonWe don't use shared mailbox's here because we have policies that prohibit shared passwords; however you could do this as long as you consider how notifications from Box will be handled in your shared mailbox.  While the identifier of a Box account is an e-mail address, there's no real link between the Box account and the kind of mailbox associated with that address.  We (and others) have adopted a concept called a "Non-Person(al) Account"; think of it as a departmental Box account.  We give the Non-Person Account a "fake" e-mail address; one that has no mailbox associated with it.  So I would imagine that you could assign a shared mailbox's address to a Box account; all Box cares about is that it's in the e-mail domain assigned to your company.

--Kurt Baker

Penn State University 

Occasional Contributor

Re: Can a box account be linked to a shared mailbox or does it have to be an individual user?

Thanks for the clarification on that i understand how would i do this ? Would i need to create like an admin user for the shared mailbox.?

Valued Contributor

If I understand the question to be, "Would the Box account created using the shared mailbox e-mail address need to be an admin account?", no.  Only if the person logging in to this Box account needs to do admin functions in Box.  All the normal collaboration and sharing functions don't require admin access. 

--Kurt Baker

Penn State University

Users online (303)