Box Edit not properly saving

New Contributor

Box Edit not properly saving

We've had multiple instances with users working on Office files using Box Edit and saving their files as they go, but then find out later that none of the saves actually occurred.  Each time that this has been reported, the user is positive that they see the "File Saved" message from Box Edit and that there is no error message. A few of the times, the users have caught it soon enough that we were able to find the temporary version of the file in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Box\Box Edit and reupload it.  Other people haven't been so lucky and didn't catch that their file wasn't uploaded correctly and open it later to work on it, which then overwrites the temporary version that has all their changes.

We've contacted support each time that has occured but we haven't been able to get an answer for why this is happening.  I'm just curious if anybody else has experienced this. If so, were you able to get it resolved or at least come up with a safety net to help users catch it?

Support's suggestions so far have been:

1. Reinstall Box Edit (unfortunately doesn't seem to help)

2. It's a problem with our network. (Highly unlikely because everything follows their guidelines as far as firewall configuration. If there is something more specific I'd love for them to tell us what it would be.)

3. The user is wrong and they didn't actually save the file. (Uhm, no. I trust my users enough to know that that they know how to save a file.  Plus I'm one of the people that it happened to first!)

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: Box Edit not properly saving

Any traction on this issue? One of my users seems to also be having this issue and I'm unsure of the next steps. 

New Contributor

Fortunately we haven't had the issue reported for quite some time.  However I'm not exactly sure how it's worked itself out.  Possibly an update to Box Edit has fixed the issue for us?  I wish I had more insight for you.  My concern without having a real answer is that we haven't seen the last of it.

New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to do some testing with the user that is experiencing issues and see if we can pinpoint if she's doing anything differently to contribute to the not saving. Appreciate you sharing! 

Occasional Contributor

I am having the same issue.  The problem only occurs on our HP Elitebooks.  Lenovo Thinkpad and MacBook Air can save the file.  The file is over 12mb and anything small can be saved using Box Edit.  Lenovo and HP both are on Windows 10.

Those are my findings so far.  

Occasional Contributor

So my original file that we're having problems with was 12.9mb.  I opened the same file and removed half of the slides and the new file size is 9.6mb and it saved successfully.  I'm using an HP with Windows 10.  Other Windows 10 Lenovo laptops and Macs are able to save with Box Edit with the original 12+mb files

I'm having the same issue and have lost several hours worth of work. My file was a small Word file and I saved it on a Lenovo laptop.

Community Manager

Hi @MelRan

Thanks for your post and question!

Sorry to hear about this issue as this is not expected behavior with Box.

This would be something our Box Support team would like to investigate with you and will require specific account information.

I would recommend collecting your Box Edit logs when the error occurs.

If so, you should contact Box Support to help you directly.