Enabling Legacy Drivers in Windows 10

In the latest release of Windows 10, Microsoft will be blocking legacy file system filter drivers by default.  Legacy file system filter drivers are drivers that attach to the file system stack directly and don't use Filter Manager. Box Drive requires these legacy filter drivers to run properly. This article will guide you through the steps to enable these legacy filter drivers on your machine.  

Note: This will only impact brand new installs of Windows 10. Users who upgrade to the latest version will not be affected, and do not need to follow these steps. 

To enable legacy file system filter drivers: 

• Use the keyboard shortcut Windows+R to open the Run window.
  • In the Run window, enter the following: 
    regedit
    This will open the Registry Editor.
  • In the Registry Editor, follow this registry path:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\I/O System
  • In the I/O System registry, you will need to create a DWORD type registry key with the name IoBlockLegacyFsFilters. Set it's value data to 0 to enable legacy drivers. To create a new registry key, right click inside the I/O System registry and choose New -> Key. If you already see the IoBlockLegacyFsFilters key, you can simply change it's value data to 0. The image below shows what the registry key values should be. 

ioblockregkey-1.png

For more details on legacy file system filter drivers, see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/ifs/blocking-file-system-filter-drivers

Version history
Revision #:
5 of 5
Last update:
‎02-28-2018 01:25 PM
Updated by:

Labels (3)
Contributors
Tags (1)

Users online (330)