How to remove Box Sync from left panel (navigation pane) in Windows 10 Explorer

EDP
New Contributor

How to remove Box Sync from left panel (navigation pane) in Windows 10 Explorer

I want to remove Box Sync from the left panel (navigation pane, i.e. where you see ‘Quick access’, ‘This PC’, etc.) in the Windows 10 Explorer. Since there is no option to achieve this in the Box Sync options, I want to know if somebody knows a different method to achieve this, e.g. through a registry edit or other methods.

Since I haven't found anything on this subject, except for a similar problem with Dropbox (see here), I hope this thread might help more thant just Box Sync users, but Windows 10 users in general.

On a side note, I find it outrageous cloud storage companies impose their software through such a shortcut. I respect their choice to put the shortcut there, but it is not their decision to choose to make it permanent. There is no easy (nor permanent, possibly) method to (re)move the shortcut where I want it on my computer. I want to sync my cloud storage on my computer the way I like it, not how some company wants it. Companies tend to forget they are replaceable. Alternatives exists! When you start to annoy the power users, that is when you know you're making choices that are not yours to make...

9 REPLIES

Re: How to remove Box Sync from left panel (navigation pane) in Windows 10 Explorer

Using RegEdit, modify this entry

\ HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{4A8FCD9F-623C-4283-96F0-10F41846A98A}

Such that System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree is set to 0.

Then, relaunch explorer.

Kyle

Tags (1)
EDP
New Contributor

Re: How to remove Box Sync from left panel (navigation pane) in Windows 10 Explorer

Thanks, I will investigate if this is a permanent solution or if this needs to be redone after rebooting or updating the Box application.

For the users that don't know how to follow the instructions as given by ksteinfe before, here are some more details (however, if you don't know what you're doing or you don't know how to revert the changes you make, you probably shouldn't try this).

To use regedit: run it by pressing [Windows key]+[R] simultaneously, then type:

regedit

Press [Enter] to run the Registry Editor. In the window that opens the left pane shows a tree. To browse to the root, click once anywhere in the tree and hold [left arrow]. Now, using your mouse or the arrow keys, expand to the registry entry you wish to edit, in this case follow the path to it as provided by ksteinfe before. You will see the mentioned registry entry (among others) in the right window pane. Double-click it to edit the value. By default, it is set to 1, change it to 0. Hit [Enter] to save the edit and return to the Registry editor. Close the editor. Now open Task Manager (either by pressing [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete], then selecting Task Manager, or by pressing [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[Escape], or by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting Task Manager. Click on the Details tab and do the following for every explorer.exe you see: click on it once, press [Delete], press [Enter]. This terminates the explorer.exe processes. Now, to restart them, in the Task Manager window menu at the top press File, then Run new task, type the following:

explorer

Now explorer.exe has restarted and loaded the edited registry entry. You will see the Box shortcut has been removed.

EDP
New Contributor

And if at any time you're prompted by User Account Control (UAC) about the possible security risks of the steps you're taking, click on Yes to continue (and to accept the risks).

Occasional Visitor

After troubleshooting for nearly 2 hours (including communication with a support agent who couldn't help) I found that -- at least on my 64bit Windows 10 -- I also had to change this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{4A8FCD9F-623C-42**removed**F0-10F41846A98A}

System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree (change from 1 to 0) and restart Windows Explorer

Here's how I got it to work - remove the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{4A8FCD9F-623C-4283-96F0-10F41846A98A}

I checked the other 2 keys mentioned in this article and mine were already set to zero.

Hope this helps.

Steak

Established Member

We had to go to

Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-x-xx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxx\Software\Classes\CLSID\{4A8FCD9F-623C-4283-96F0-10F41846A98A}

set to ‘0’

to fix ours

Occasional Visitor

I have made changes to the keys everything seems to work. But as soon as I start up again the application returns Box Sync in the left panel in Windows 10 Explorer. There is no definitive solution.

Highlighted
MNC
New Contributor

Two year has passed and registry key seems have changed from this original post.

Anyone can identify which  System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree is for Box Sync current version?

Or could anyone tell how to specify?

Thanks,

MNC
New Contributor

OK, I found \ HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{4A8FCD9F-623C-4283-96F0-10F41846A98A} and set the value 0 and relaunched File explorer in vain.

I checked the registry key again and 0 properly.