Help - trying to password protect a file - keep getting this:

Occasional Visitor

Help - trying to password protect a file - keep getting this:

Certain settings may not be available for this item due to access or permissions.

all my other files come up with the ability to password protect.  Not this one.  why?

thanks-

8 REPLIES
Box Employee

Re: Help - trying to password protect a file - keep getting this:

Hi @salieb.

The ability to password protect a shared link is only available if the shared link is set to "People with the link". If it is set to "People in this folder", the option for password protection will not appear.

Hi, I'm getting the same message. I'm the owner of the folder, and have the settings for "People with the Link" set. I'm using a free personal account, do I need to upgrade? Or is there a specific folder setting that I need to change? The image below shows my current settings.

Box Setting Screen Shot

New Contributor

I'm having the same issue as described in this thread. I can see the 'Password protect' checkbox, but it's disabled so clicking it has no effect. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Community Manager

Hi @usegen
Thanks for your post and question!

Your post seems like it may require account specific information/configuration. Password protecting is only available for shared links. Can you provide more information on what you're seeing comparatively to the screenshot?

For those, you should contact Box Support to help you directly, or for other support options, visit this page.

New Contributor

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the reply. I'm evaluating Box by using a free personal account. As far as I can tell this should allow "Shared link password security". See the feature comparison here: https://cloud.app.box.com/v/BoxPersonalEditions

My settings page looks like this:

Settings page

And here's a gif of how I'm creating a folder and trying to share it with a password:

Create shared link gif

As you can see, the "Require password" checkbox does not respond to clicks. It's difficult to tell from the look of the checkbox, but inspecting its HTML will show that it has the 'disabled' attribute.

Let me know if I can provide any further info.

Established Member

Having the exact same problem. What is the resolution?

Community Manager

Hi @dansimonsen  and others,

The password protection for shared links is not available for free personal accounts. You can check out more information here: https://community.box.com/t5/Collaboration-and-Sharing/Shared-Links/ta-p/19523#passwordprotect

WWZ
New Contributor

BOX (and you as an employee of BOX) should be more EXPLICIT about it not being a feature of the personal free edition. I spent 1/2 an hour researching this. And in some posts the BOX moderators do not even know the answer. IMO it is pathetic regarding the lack of product knowledge and the opaqueness of what is available and what is not for personal edition users.