Announcements

All conversations in the Archive Forum are read only. For active conversations, please visit our All Forums page to post a topic or response.

First-time Contributor

Direct Link missing for Public Access of Box Images

The instructions say to select "Direct Link" from the pop-up window in Sharing. There is no "Direct Link" - or B link option viewable on this pop-up. My public customers would like to download images and are frustrated that even after setting up a BOX Account, they are unable to access my file. What is the work around? I can find no support, live chat, or Phone number for customers outside of the US. We are located in Australia. Please advise.

Box Employee

Re: Direct Link missing for Public Access of Box Images

@MarketingAre you the owner of the folder? If not, the owner may need to give you permission to share direct links to the image. Check out this matrix of Box permissions.

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 10.25.28 PM.png

You may also want to visit More -> Folder Settings to see that everything checks out there. This is how the direct link section of that pop-up modal should look when you enable it. 

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 10.40.08 PM.png

Hope this is helpful!

New Contributor

The solution to this question seems to be out of date.  I'm not seeing what's shown in that reply - All I know is - I suddenly cannot get Direct Links to images anymore and it's crippling the usefulness of Box.

Community Manager

Hi @rbowser,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

Thanks for the detailed question! You may be referring to the new UI that we have for Box, but the steps to get to the direct shared links will be the same. Check out this article for more info, but you should see the options similar with the gear icon and direct link available IF you have the right permissions.

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 9.00.57 AM.png

Be sure to look at the Community Guidelines, and check out our Product News,Training Guides, and Help Articles. For tips on how to getting around, see this video.

New Contributor

Well, thank you for the reply, Howard - but I'm not getting it to work.  I did not change anything - I just suddenly am unable to directly link to images.  I've looked at what you posted, at the linked pages of info - I'm not seeing what's shown in the instructions.

All I get is the message "Certain settings may not be available for this item due to permissions."

OK - well, I haven't been able to change Permissions to what they're supposed to be. -- I'm dead in the water, after quite a few years of using Box with my paid account.

??

RB

Community Manager

Hi @rbowser,

Following up to see if you have any luck with direct links?

If you still are, I would recommend that you should contact Box Support to help you directly, or for other support options, visit this page.

New Contributor

Howard!  Thanks for checking in - YES, I did solve this.  I have no idea how this happened, but my global settings had been changed, so that nothing I have on Box was being shared Anywhere - and unfortunately, that had been the case for quite a few months, as it turned out.  I would often wonder, "Gee, why isn't anybody finding my stuff online anymore?"--

It's irritating, since I don't know how that global option for sharing was changed - I hadn't been to that area for so long I can't remember when I was there last, not since I set things up years ago I think! -- Maybe when Box had that problem whenever that was, a year ago?--when we all needed to change our passwords after a hack?  All I know is that somehow nothing was being shared, the permission level was way up under the global settings.  Changed that - And now all is well again, just after way too long a period, unfortunately.

Thanks again.

rbowser

Community Manager

Thanks @rbowser and glad to hear you've found out the issue!

Again sorry for the delayed response, but if there is a similar situation in the future, please share with the community but also share with support who can directly check your account settings and find these shared link settings for your enterprise.

Thanks again!