Announcements

All conversations in the Archive Forum are read only. For active conversations, please visit our All Forums page to post a topic or response.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Box Unsyncing and Resyncing Behavior

Note: Despite reading/searching the box guides and community, I could not seem to find a pre-existing answer to my question. I am still not convinced it hasn't been asked/answered already, so my apologies if it has. Additionally, I would note that I am using the latest version of Box Sync on a computer running Windows 10.

My Situation/Query:
Currently in my box account, I have 300,000 files totaling 500GB in size. Box recommends syncing the folders you are currently working in, and unsyncing them when you are finished working in them.

See: https://community.box.com/t5/Box-Sync-Troubleshooting/Maximizing-Box-Sync-Performance/ta-p/38698

It is pretty clear to me that as long as folders are synced, changes made either locally or online, are also reflected in both locations (that is, changes made are bi-directional).

What is not clear to me, is the syncing behavior, or direction if you will, of any changes made locally in a previously, but not currently synced folder.

Basically, what I want to know is: If I add, edit, or reorganize files/folders in my box folder locally  on my computer, and then later resync them, will all (or perhaps only some?) of these changes be updated to my box account online? Perhaps, an alternate phrasing of my question might be: does whatever is in my box account serve as the be-all, end-all reference for what a folder should contain when syncing?

I would be happy to answer any clarification questions, or attempt to rephrase or restate anything if what I said is unclear or confusing—I realize I am not the most articulate or skilled at communicating at times.

Regards,

- Jack

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Box Unsyncing and Resyncing Behavior

Hi @jpetersen87,

Thanks for your post and sharing your question. The short answer to your question:

"If I add, edit, or reorganize files/folders in my box folder locally  on my computer, and then later resync them, will all (or perhaps only some?) of these changes be updated to my box account online?" 

All changes should be synced to your Box account online. If you unsync content, the folder should disappear from your Box Sync folder but remain on your Box account online. To your point, your Box account is the source of truth and the Box Sync program will scan your folder to make sure it is align with your Box account and any changes made or detected will be uploaded to Box or downloaded from your Box account depending on where the difference is. 

Sometimes we have users who want to be selective about what changes are being synced real time and that's why having folders unsynced or even turning off Box Sync program can be included in their workflow before they're ready to have everything reach the state of truth and synced across online and Box sync folder desktop. 

I hope that answers your question but continue to use Box Sync as a workflow!

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply, Howard. 

Just to confirm I understand: you are saying that if I unsync a folder (whether locally by right-clicking and selecting 'unsync' or online in my box account), the folder will continue to exist online, but locally will be deleted, is that correct? If so, the functionality of Box Sync strikes me as being quite similar to Box Drive, except you could have more than 25GB locally stored/cached.

Anyways, if that is what should be happening, I am not sure I am seeing that behavior locally, but unfortunately, it will be a few hours before I can confirm. I suppose one alternative or explanation if again, I am correct in my understanding is that perhaps it takes nearly as long to unsync/delete the files locally as it did to sync originally. Which wouldn't surprise me given the sheer number and total size of files.

In any case, I appreciate your clarifying that whatever is stored online in my box account is indeed the "master" reference, which was helpful. I feel like this must have been answered before many times somewhere, so again, thank you for your kindly and helpful response.

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

Just to confirm I understand: you are saying that if I unsync a folder (whether locally by right-clicking and selecting 'unsync' or online in my box account), the folder will continue to exist online, diebestetest but locally will be deleted, is that correct? If so, the functionality of Box Sync strikes me as being quite similar to Box Drive, except you could have more than 25GB locally stored/cached.

Anyways, if that is what should be happening, I am not sure I am seeing that behavior locally, but unfortunately, it will be a few hours before I can confirm. I suppose one alternative or explanation if again, I am correct in my understanding is that perhaps it takes nearly as long to unsync/delete the files locally as it did to sync originally. Which wouldn't surprise me given the sheer number and total size of files.

In any case, I appreciate your clarifying that whatever is stored online in my box account is indeed the "master" reference, which was helpful. I feel like this must have been answered before many times somewhere, so again, thank you for your kindly and helpful response.

Your content helped me a lot to take my doubts, thank you very much.