Announcements

All conversations in the Archive Forum are read only. For active conversations, please visit our All Forums page to post a topic or response.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Automatically sync all folders

How do I configure my Box preferences to automatically sync every folder I create or join, so I don't have to manually choose that option for each folder one at a time?

Highlighted
Box Employee

Re: Automatically sync all folders

Hi TheCat,

Unfortunately, we do not offer the ability to Auto-Sync folders that are newly created or newly collaborated on at the root level. We do not plan on offering this as a feature in the future, as it could result in content being inadvertently synced down to your local computer. Newly created subfolders within a 'Synced' folder will be auto marked for sync as long as the folder does not have the designation 'Some Items Synced'.

You can refer to this help article as a reference: https://community.box.com/t5/Box-Sync/Why-Are-New-Subfolders-Not-Syncing-To-My-Desktop/ta-p/119

Let me know if you have further questions!

Brendan Fang
Box User Services | Tier 1
O: 512-717-4037
600 Congress Ave.
Austin, TX 78701
box.com
Highlighted
First-time Contributor

I find your decision to omit the feature to automatically sync all the folders very strange and inconvenient. Why not let the users choose their own way to sync their objects?

I find the way Dropbox works more convenient and straight forward. I never had to visit their Help section while I have spent several hours here and still do not understand how your service works.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I agree. This kind of decision is why I use Dropbox whenever possible and only use Box when I'm forced to do so.

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

Agree, we're switching to Dropbox.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I agree as well. This should be a configurable option. For Enterprise especially. I would like to be able to configure this for my users.

Is this on the roadmap?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Not having this feature is seriously annoying.

Since I started using box, I've now been added to over a hundred folders by my organisation.

Having to step through 10 screens, with 10 folders per screen and work out which ones I'm able to sync that haven't been synced is really, really irritating.

If I've been given editor or above privileges to a Box folder, I want to sync it, so I can actually use it on the train, or at a closed client site.  If I haven't been given privileges to Sync then fine, clearly it's something I'm a lot less actively involved with.

Having things locally then plugs into all my local process flows and search tooling, I can find things immediately as fast as if I had it locally.

Having to open a web page, login, type into the specific search box for something that might help, and browse it on the web is a massive pain.

Please can you look at this again.

Highlighted
Box Certified Professional

@sbroadhurst,

Have you looked at Box Drive? All of your Box content is available to you at all times without having to add new folders as you are invited to them. Currently it does not feature offline access to content, but that should be coming in the spring. It sounds like Box Drive will not only meet your needs now (when connected to the internet) but it will also save you a bunch of space on your computer.

Bob

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
Highlighted
New Contributor

@BobFlynn-IU

"Warning

We noticed you have Box Sync installed.

There are known issues (https://community.box.com/t5/Box-Drive-Known-Issues-and/General-Limitations-When-Using-Box-Drive/ta-...)
with having both Box Sync and Box Drive on your machine. This is not a supported configuration. Please quit Box Sync before installing and running Box Drive."

Link states "Do not run Sync and Box Drive at the same time"

Aside from that, it doesn't answer the issue of being able to use of find a document when you aren't connected to the internet.  Which I think was pretty clear in my post, but if it wasn't that's the big thing sync enables.   Being able to working on a train, or work on a client site without internet, or just find that document you think might be buried out there without a connection, even if you'll edit later with a connection.

This looks like a pretty simple user request, by me and others just have  checkbox buried in preferences, that says.  "Automatically sync folders if able". 

Highlighted
Box Certified Professional

@sbroadhurst,

I understand what you are going for, and I don't deny it would be a feature useful to some users, but I would caution you to be careful what you wish for. If you are not making conscious decisions about what you are syncing to your computer you run the risk of someone adding you to a large folder of content that could at best, cripple your machine as it downloads it all when you get online, and at worst, make your machine completely unusable because it will take up all available space on the machine.

Most business and enterprise accounts have unlimited storage in Box. If you give individuals and businesses unlimited storage, they will take advantage of that. My organization just passed the 1PB mark. Here's a hypothetical example of where this could lead to trouble for you. Say your company decides to migrate its entire documentation library to Box. It's a modest 500GB of files, collected over 30 years. They want all the staff to have ready access to it, so you and your colleagues all get invited to the folder. The next time you get online, your machine would try to download all that content, tying up your available bandwidth and eating up all available space on your hard drive.

I realize that exact scenario is unlikely to happen, but in my six years supporting Box at my organization, the #1 technical problem with Box has been people over-syncing. Box Sync is designed for the conscious decision about what to sync. I seldom, if ever, have Sync trouble tickets from a user who is selectively syncing. It is nearly always from the user who is reflexively marking every folder for Sync on the off chance that they'll need it offline.

This is clearly an important feature for you, so I would encourage you to submit it as a feature request to Box. Just go in with your eyes open to what it could mean if you get it.

Best of luck,

Bob

PS: Box Sync and Box Drive should not be run at the same time and, in fact, cannot be both installed on Windows at the same time. It's different on a Mac. Box Drive will add "mark for offline" capabilities sometime in the spring.

Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
Highlighted
New Contributor

I get what you're saying, but it isn't relevant for staff like me who work between two campuses and one is a HIPAA covered entity and the other is not. This creates troubles because I need my documents and folders from both campus on two separate computers (a laptop, a desktop, and even a CAG desktop if I need to access the InfoWeb) so I can't rely on my local drive to do this for me.

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

The idea that you can choose whether to choose to sync everything automatically isn't a big ask.  Dropbox allows this and I have yet to hear the sky has fallen because of it.   User centered design. 

Highlighted
First-time Contributor

Hi guys,

This topic is NOT SOLVED... When you work with 6 users, like us, synchronise every new subfolders is really a waste of time. We seriously consider to go back to dropbox, only for this. So please make an effort to understand our needs.

Tks

Highlighted
Box Employee

Hi @transcultures,

Welcome to the Box Community and thanks for your first post in the forum!

Auto Syncing newly created folders in root level is a feature that is not available in Box Sync and we currently do not have an update if there are plans to implement this functionality.

But have you considered Switching from Box Sync to Box Drive? If you need all your contents to be available in your local machine, Box Drive gives you that ability without having to manually sync new items you create on root level. Also, it has now the option to mark any contents you want to for offline use. 

Check out our KB article on Using Box Drive Basics to learn more about this application. 

Be sure to read our guidelines, Subscribe to content you like, and complete your profile on the community.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hello France,

Tks for your quick reply. and sorry for my english. I will try to explain you better.

I don't want auto synch forlders at root level. Only subfolders.

If one root folder is synced with all collaborators

ex : Box → SyncedFolder

and if one of our collaborators create a new subfloder

ex : Box → SyncedFolder → NewSubFolder

We need this new subfolder to be to automatically synchronize with all the computers of all collaborators. We need that all new subfolders created in a synced root folder to be automatically synchronized with the computers of the different collaborators. That makes sense to us because the root folder is synced.

Box Drive is not the same service (we use it, but only for some collaborators) we need all files on our computers. With Box Drive, can we mark more than 150GB folders for offline use (or all content of the box)? If it's possible, ok, this is a solution for us, but, in this case, I don't understand why you keep Box Synch service.

tks

Highlighted
Box Employee

Hi @TransBox

Thanks for the follow up!

Have you checked out this article yet: Marking Content for Box Sync?

You'll want to check if the Blue check mark on the folder that is synced is partially synced.

9nmuq6thpwhpmfmtd4dkvxf4p2ia6ucm

When a parent folder is partially synced (hovering over folder icon displays the This item is partially synced status), new subfolders or files created within this parent folder will not be marked for Sync automatically. To fully sync a partially synced folder, you must unsync the partially synced folder, then sync it again.

On Box Drive side, to learn more on caching information and and its behavior here is the Box article describing the Cache limit.

Hope this inform is handy!